Migrating to new hardware - Addons won't start!

I’m trying to move from an RPi3 to an RPi4.

I made a backup and powered off the old system. When powering on the new system, I chose to restore from backup. The RPi3 and RPi4 are both running a 64 bit version of hassio.

I updated my dhcp server so that the new system gets the same IP as the old one.

It mostly worked, except that all my addons refuse to start, including Z-wave JS. However when I look at the logs it looks like it is running. This is the case for the File Editor, NGINX, Samba, etc. addons

For instance, the clicking the Terminal & SSH addon on the side bar gives the error “Add-on is not running. Please start it first”, but I can ssh in from remote.

Same situation here for google drive backup, zerotier and terminalssh addons.
I could no find the way to write separately so i used reply.

Same! Tried reloading the supervisor, but no dice…

Having the same issue. Migrated from old docker container method over to HassOS and add-ons wont function :frowning:

I had the same issue recently when migrating from an SD card to an SSD.

It may not be the “correct” answer, but the final thing I tried that seemingly solved it for me was to edit the /etc/resolv.conf file via SSH

When I read the file, I noticed nameserver 127.0.0.11 which points to the built-in docker DNS server.

I deleted that line and added 2 new ones pointing to my preferred DNS provider, and rebooted the host.

This somehow solved everything for me, and automatically reverted the nameserver back to 127.0.0.11

I suspect the docker DNS server didn’t set itself up properly because it couldn’t connect to the internet. By temporarily changing the DNS settings it fixed itself.

Or maybe it just needed about 10 reboots and that was the one that finally fixed it :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Deleted all of my migrated addons, rebooted started adding manually one by one and noticed they were working. Ran a restore on all of my addons and they are working. Seemed like something from the first restore wasn’t happy.

It turns out that the database is not correctly backed up and was corrupted. Copying it off the old SD card and replacing the files on the new card fixed the issue.

Changing the nameserver to something else (8.8.8.8) and rebooting also did the trick for me! Thanks

None of my add-ons worked after migrating from microSD to SSD. I shut down the RPi and took the SSD to a Linux computer. I looked for and found the /etc/resolv.conf file. It was empty. I didn’t change anything, just looked. I put the SSD back in the RPi, booted up and everything worked. I’ve rebooted many times before and it didn’t work. I have no idea why taking the SSD for a short walk made the add-ons work.

How many steps was it all together? Did you hum at all while walking and if so which tune was it?