[RESOLVED] Minimise chances of HA not starting on Raspberry Pi

Hi, I’ve seen many instances of Home Assistant failing to lunch properly on Raspberry Pi 3 and 4 without much logical reasoning, my latest instance of this happening is on a pi 3 connected via ethernet where that the errors show the below:

• Failed to mount HassOS overlay partition.
  • Failed to mount HassOS data partition
  • Failed to start HassOS overlay setup.

Is there anything that can be done to prevent or at least minimise this for happening?

With all those I/I errors I’m guessing the SD card got corrupted.

Don’t use an SD card and boot from SSD is probably the best option if you still have to use a RasPi.
The other option is to use something other than a RasPi, which will be using a HDD or SSD.

Yea, I am noticing that as well on my rpi3. I run it without a monitor so I do not see the boot up screen. Interestingly though, my issue is that HA do not boot up properly where I cannot log in via the browser when I perform a restart. However, I am still able to access the config folder. My guess is that it never restarted but hung at restarting.

I am running HA on a rpi3 using usb stick.

Hi I’ll have to try an SSD at some point then.

Personally have experienced this twice with the Raspberry Pi 3b and once with the Pi 4.

@duceduc I wouldn’t typically have a monitor connected either but needed to debug somehow, I would recommend just plugging it into a monitor just to see what’s happening to find out exactly what it’s doing.

I would recommend just plugging it into a monitor just to see what’s happening to find out exactly what it’s doing.

That would be a pain in the a@* with my setup. I have 4 pi mounted in one of those plexiglass tower and is stored on my shoe racket (which is also my mdf). I am nearly done with tweaking the settings and not have to restart HA as much.

Curious. When HA is acting up on you during a restart, do you still have access to your config files but no access via the browser?

Hi @duceduc unfortunately I had no access at all, pinging the Pi got no response either, and I would be similar to yourself with it being stored in a not so convenient place, just required needing to take it out and run it on the desk.

@Silicon_Avatar a follow up question in regards to SSD, what would you recommend for this, just any that you plug in via USB?

Unfortunately I don’t have any recommendations. Over a year ago I moved to other hardware instead of continuing my adventures on the RasPi. If you look through (or search) the forum, I recall seeing a number of recent threads discussing this though.

Solution was to install HA on a SSD.

Also noticed a large improvement while running on the SD Card when the Raspberry Pi 4 was being powered via PoE.