Mirroring temperature sensor state to Smartthings

I have the Smartthings integration setup and working properly. The use case I am trying to solve is:

1. Have some zigbee temperature sensors connected directly to HA
  2. Have some Smartthings automations that cannot be moved to HA but need to know the temperature sensor state

My idea was to create a simulated thermostat in smartthings which would be shown in HA via smartthings integration, then I could setTemperature on sensor state change. The issue I am having is that the simulated thermostat always shows an unavailable and I believe it’s due to the following error. I am just not sure how to resolve it.

{code}
Error doing job: Task exception was never retrieved
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/homeassistant/helpers/entity_platform.py”, line 365, in _async_add_entity
await entity.async_update_ha_state()
File “/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/homeassistant/helpers/entity.py”, line 225, in async_update_ha_state
self._async_write_ha_state()
File “/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/homeassistant/helpers/entity.py”, line 255, in _async_write_ha_state
attr.update(self.state_attributes or {})
File “/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/homeassistant/components/climate/init.py”, line 211, in state_attributes
self.precision),
File “/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/homeassistant/helpers/temperature.py”, line 26, in display_temp
temperature, temperature_unit, ha_unit)
File “/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/homeassistant/util/temperature.py”, line 25, in convert
from_unit, TEMPERATURE))
ValueError: None is not a recognized temperature unit.
{code}

What unit is the real sensor (in HA)?

HA is set to imperial. The actual sensor in HA is a Xioami Aqara temperature sensor. This unit is working properly in HA though.

The idea I had yesterday(but have yet to try) is if I can’t get the simulated sensor/thermostat imported I could potentially use the smartthings webcore/ifttt webhook to trigger a change from HA.

Why not just move everything to HA?

This is for Keen vent automation which seems much more complete in smart things. Also that is where the manufacturer has official automation.