Moved everything over to NR finally. Really worth it

I prefer to a bit more proactive.

For the run-of-the-mill, turn-on-the-lights automation, yaml will get the job done. but as soon as it is time to pass context, manipulate workflow, and do more, nodered is more capable.

I have just completed an irrigation system that is driven off of an iCloud calendar, supports unlimited combinations of run times and valve combinations (i.e. {ā€œgroupā€:[{ā€œvalveā€:1,ā€œdurationā€:10.0},{ā€œvalveā€:11,ā€œdurationā€:15}]} ), posts mqtt messages to an esp32 to drive the irrigation hardware, logs to Splunk for runtime and water consumption metrics, and sends status messages (ā€œHey, the system has been off for more than a week now. Better do something about that.ā€) using twillio. I canā€™t even imagine trying to implement it in yaml. well, actually, i can, which is why it is in nodered.

there is a learning curve. nodered can be quirky sometimes. most of the interesting nodes are contributed, and sometimes have breaking changes. but, it is a more productive development platform than yaml. builtin version control to bitbucket ot github. runtime debugging window. global catch method that can write to the debug window.

I think you havenā€™t tried to do enough complex things. The HA yaml is very limited in what it can support. Python scripts, Node-Red and Appdaemon wouldnā€™t exist if yaml was great.

Itā€™s not just the syntax, itā€™s the limitations on flow control, error handling, complex actionsā€¦ it goes on.

Yaml works for very simple actions, anything more complex becomes difficult to manage.

2 Likes

this post made me decide to give node red a tryā€¦ iā€™m VERY happy that i didā€¦
i got to learn new software and a new way of doing things.
i find it allot easier to put together complex automationā€™s AND i have done a ton more automation not only with/for HA but used it for other external automationā€™s. I defiantly wouldnā€™t replace HA with it, but together they are great.

1 Like

Done!

1 Like

I doubt thereā€™s much that you can do in one platform that you canā€™t in the other. As I said, I use both and use mqtt to talk to each other. I am basically lazy and use whichever is easier to implement. Which is most often Node-Red.