MQTT Alarm Control Panel for Raspberry Pi and Android

OK.
I will take a look and start working on it.

Hi, just installed the android app. The browser doesn’t save the password for home assistant front-end, so everytime it reloads the URL, it requests the password even if ‘remember’ is checked.
Is it possible to hide the lower bar while using the internal browser?
Thanks.

That’s a known issue with tht browser used for Android. It will not work with home assistant and saving the password. You should not have the issue unless you close and reopen the app. Try using it as a dedicated alarm panel. The bottom bar is the only way to refresh the page without restarting the app. It’s possible to make a way to dismiss it, but what’s your use case?

I’m trying to use an android phone as control panel for Hass. I’m trying different solutions like Hass for android, WallPanel… But I always find some issue.
With this app I like the UI to disable the alarm, but I don’t want to use the phone only for this scope.
The bottom bar on browser leaves less space for browser panel on my landscape phone, i can came back to the alarm panel with gestures i see… Or should be possible to resume the bar with a tap, or other gestures…
But if the browser cannot save the password… Should try something else… Many thanks.

I understand what you are trying to achieve but I first built the application as a dedicated IoT hardware piece using a Raspberry Pi and a touchscreen. I ported the application to Android tablets for those that wanted a wall mounted tablet. Many of the application features like fullscreen, landscape only mode, and the user interface are for that purpose. If the application was meant to be just another app on your phone, I would have designed it for that purpose. The application can’t be all things to all people. I state that on the Google Play store, it’s for a dedicated alarm panel device.

I don’t have a solution for you at this time. Maybe you can just create a browser short cut for HASS and use it as is it with HA Dashboard. The other solution is to fork the code and make your own.

As far as I remember, I didn’t change anything. I solved the problem with downloading tasker. It is now working as it used too. I really would like to thank you again for this top notch app

Would it be useful to have a page with some information such as the current IP address of the panel, WiFi signal strength, current load, etc. ?

I am hoping that Android Things releases a tool to do this. They have a nice tool already if you just install and launch a RPi with Android Things without an application. They don’t yet allow us to launch the Wifi setup screen which would be nice.

Ah, that explains! I have a few more questions I hope you could answer?

1. How do you do updates between releases? Do you just re-flash your SD-card and reconfigure everything or is there an OTA possibility? It’s not that big of a problem to re-flash but retyping those API keys is a real pain. Ideally I’d point the panel at a config file somewhere in the cloud that has all my settings and be done with it.
  2. Is there a way to wake up the panel from its dimmed screen to full brightness when the alarm goes from armed_away/armed_home to pending/triggered as to draw attention that you need to disarm the alarm?
  3. I configured the alarm panel to send a camera snapshot via telegram but I couldn’t get it to work. In order to verify if it was a camera problem or telegram problem, I also created a Mailgun account, set up my MX/TXT records, etc. and suddenly both Telegram and Mailgun are sending me camera snapshots. Is this anecdotal or might there be a logic error that Telegram will only work if Mailgun is also configured?
  1. For now the OTA is difficult to use for both testing and deploying. There will eventually be OTA but for now you just download the latest zip and reflash the SD card. It’s a pain because of the API keys like you said but Android Things is still under development.
  2. That is a bug I am tracking down, it seems to stay dim when the alarm mode changes and it should return to full brightness and also dismiss any screen saver screen.
  3. I will check, could be an error in the logic, You should be able to use one, the other, or both.

Thanks for the feedback!!

@warbringer I released a new version which address all the issues you outlined. I am also using OTA for this release, so you shouldn’t have to do anything to get the update. The update will happen as it propagates across the Google servers in different regions. This should hopefully preserve your settings through the OTA prodess.

Cheers!

Thanks for your work on the panel! I’ll keep an eye out for the OTA (is there a prompt or something?) and let you know how it pans out. Also, are you interested in a Dutch translation?

Actually, someone already offered but they haven’t produced a translation yet. If you are interested, and have time, it’s pretty simple. You just download this file (strings.xml) from Github and translate it. Then when your finished send it over to me ([email protected]) and I will include it in an upcoming build for both RPi and Android devices. Strings file: https://github.com/thanksmister/android-mqtt-alarm-panel/blob/master/app/src/main/res/values/strings.xml

Will translations into Klingon be accepted?

Absolutely, but we would have to wait until Google Play supports all the languages of the Federation of Planets.

1 Like

I received Dutch translations today, so I don’t want you to duplicate the effort. The translations will be in the next release and thanks again for your support. I think there are very few people using the RPi 3 version of the application, so very few testers. I am working on adding a PIR sensor ability now, so the device can wake when someone comes near it.

I’m glad I didn’t have a 90% complete Dutch translation yet… cough :joy:

Both myself and my parents are running the RPi3 version of your alarm panel so we can both test for you. As of a few days ago, we’ve both run into the same bug at least once but I haven’t updated yet to your most recent version to verify if that solves it.

The bug has to to with the red alarm screen when the alarm has been triggered. Entering the code simply doesn’t disarm the alarm. I enter the code, nothing happens, I press the “backspace” button like 15 times, enter the code again, still nothing. I then disarm the alarm with the code via the HASS web interface, and the alarm panel registers this and switches to disarmed. At first I thought the alarm panel somehow was disconnected from the MQTT broker, but the fact it did pick up the disarmed payload suggests that the connection was still working.

My second idea was that tapping the panel to wake it up also registers the first input for the code and that subsequently entering the code would be messed up because there’s already one digit in there. You can’t really say because there’s no visualisation to indicate how many digits of the code you’ve entered. Some kind of indication where you have 4 dots that get replaced by a star or something would help show how many digits have been entered already. Also, the space to the left of the zero and under the 7 could be used for clearing the entire code.

This bug is not 100% reproducible as I’ve had the disarm screen work as intended as well but in those cases I very carefully lit up the screen and entered the code. I haven’t tested this against 1.4.4 yet as I’m still running 1.4.3 but I’ll get back to you after I upgrade.

Thanks again for your work!

I’ve seen this issue on the Android version as well and I think I know what it is. I will take a look and try to issue a fix. The reason I don’t show digit count on the alarm screen due to security reasons an attacker should not know how many digits for the code. There should be a toast message though. Sorry for the transaction you’ve done and can’t use. Thanks again.

@warbringer Ok, I pushed out an OTA update with a fix for the triggered screen bug and also Dutch translation support. The version is v1.4.5 and I am not sure if you have to restart the Pi in order to get the OTA update, you shouldn’t. I also pushed the update to Github for manually uploading (but of course you will overwrite your credentials). You may have to update your region to get the Dutch language.

Thanks for your work! I’ll upgrade the panels later this week and get back to you on the results.