Mqtt devices

Perhaps wrong category but is there somewhere a list of mqtt enabled devices?

I’m not aware of any. what are you after?

New to mqtt but it seems to me that if I want to use it I need to have devices that be mqtt clients. Or have I totally missunderstood?

MQTT is a communication platform/protocol. It allows devices to communicate using very little bandwidth (great for IoT devices running on batteries).
So yes, to use MQTT, you need devices that communicate/transmit data over MQTT.
Do you already have device that use MQTT or are you looking to add devices that use MQTT?
What are you trying to achieve?

WE are just moving to a big house and as I now am retired I look forward to build a complete home automation system using HA. Lights heating AC presence, locks etc. And I wanted to use mqtt as much as possible. It would shorten the time to be able to not trawl for info about mqtt devices

I think you’ll find devices come with their own comms standards/protocol. I personally would not restrain the search purely on whether the device is MQTT compatible or not as I’ll miss on some great devices that don’t use MQTT but use their own protocol (e.g. Nest thermostat)
Given the choice I’d personally opt for MQTT over (for example) 433MHz,

I think you will find that MOST MQTT devices are non-battery powered devices. Most use a usb power cord. the reason is that the wifi requirements eat up batteries. There are ways to get around that but it isn’t very straight forward. other communication protocols (z wave, zigbee, RF) are better on batteries. Some are better than others. some are cheaper than others.

like @lolouk44 said above. It probably isn’t best to completely restrict yourself to one type of device when other devices may meet your needs better.

Just about any of the Sonoff devices that can be flashed with Tasmota can be controlled by MQTT.

Hi!
No it will be a mix depending on use. Most z-vawe i think but also wifi where the distance is a factor