MQTT_statestream Help

I am trying to setup a secondary RPi 3 as a bluetooth tracker using MQTT_eventstream with the Mosquitto MQTT broker on hass.io. The bluetooth tracker portion works correctly on both RPI boxes. The problem I have, and I may be misunderstanding how mqtt is supposed to work, is this. I created the following configurations. I can get the sensor to update from the remote RPi to the primary, but I cannot get the actual device_tracker attribute to update. Am I misunderstanding how this should work and I should just base things off the sensor that I created.

- platform: mqtt
    state_topic: 'homeassistant/device_tracker/xxxxxx_iphone/state'
    name: iphone state

The code below is on my primary RPi:

device_tracker:
  - platform: bluetooth_tracker
    consider_home: 180

mqtt:
  broker: 127.0.0.1
  port: 1883
  client_id: home-assistant-1
  username: XXXXX
  password: XXXXX

The below is the config on my remote RPi:

device_tracker:
  - platform: bluetooth_tracker
    consider_home: 180

mqtt:
  broker: 192.168.x.x
  port: 1883
  client_id: home-assistant-2
  username: xxxxx
  password: xxxxx

mqtt_statestream:
  base_topic: homeassistant

have similar doubts. Did you solve?

A sensor won’t update the a device tracker by itself.

Assuming your mqtt setup above is creating a sensor it should be reporting the state. This can be used in automation, just like a device tracker would.

I am not sure if you can ‘manually’ change the state of a device tracker entitiy. Everything i have seen uses another tool to collect the states and report a status.

Do you have a device tracker running on the main instance for this phone?

Did you ever fix this? I’m trying to do the exact same thing…

I was never able to get this working properly. My issue was that the tracker would work on one of the home assistant installs but wouldn’t update it properly on the other. So I could walk out of range of the hass in my office and into the main part of the house and then it would list me as away. I just gave up and used the device tracking in HomeKit. Used an Apple TV as the hub and then homebridge to connect to home assistant. Made a rudimentary device tracker based on a switch config in home assistant. I created an automation in the home app that would turn on or off the switch depending on if I am home or not. That has worked flawlessly for me

Does that mean that the Apple TV must always be on?

Yes. At least I always leave one of mine on and set it as the primary