MQTT update killed my HA, after snapshot restore zwave won't work

Updated MQTT and my whole setup spit the dummy. Tasmota, openZwave only thing that worked was wifi stuff.

It’s amazing how vulnerable HA can be. I tried my best to trouble shoot. Ended up going back via snapshot.
Tasmota devices now work but openzwave still not working. It can’t connect. Error messages in MQTT are repeating:

Socket error on client <unknown>, disconnecting.
  New connection from 172.30.33.3 on port 1883.

In the Openzwave logs:

Connecting bridge main-mqtt (core-mosquitto:1883)
  Socket error on client zwave, disconnecting.

Anyone know where I could start? I’ve reinstalled MQTT. Tried re-reading install documentation and adjusting config in both integrations. Nothing. Please help me close my curtains :joy::joy:.

Just FYI: Openzwave logs update fine when switches are manually toggled. I used MQTT explorer see tasmota devices update, Openzwave doesn’t send anything to MQTT Explorer.

UPDATE: Still doesn’t work, but I just noticed when I restart MQTT, the first error message in the logs say:

New connection from 172.30.33.3 on port 1883.
WARNING: [WARN] Not found addons on local database
Socket error on client <unknown>, disconnecting.

What are HA and mosquitto running on? Has the IP address changed?

No changes, no intentional changes anyway. They run on the same network. (192.168.1.21… guessing that 172.30.33.3 is the zwave network?)

172.30.33.x is probably the Docker network. Have you tried rebooting the whole machine hosting HA?

repeatedly tried to reboot in my attempts to fix.

So what is the setup? Try to break down the problem so you can understand it and help us to suggest tests / solutions. You’ve not provided very much information for anyone to help.

For example, I run both HA and mosquitto in different Docker containers on my Synology NAS, both directly connected via the host network so using the same 192.168.1.7 IP. Using another machine (Linux laptop) I can see that mosquitto runs perfectly stand-alone, and I can manually create MQTT sensors and switches in HA config and that works fine.

Are you running OpenZWave as stand-alone or the HA integration?

I’m still trying to find out where the problem lies. Pointed out where I think the problem lay.
I have Hassio running on a RP4, Openzwave and MQTT on the same PI via integration and addon. I have some things running standalone on my Synology DS218+ linked to my Pi4 HA.

I’ve taken a backup (via snapshot) back 24 hours to where Tasmota worked but Openzwave didn’t, I’ve gone 48 hours back via snapshot and now they both work.

Updated MQTT and it just refuses to connect to Tasmota and Openzwave.

I think I might try a standalone MQTT on my DS918+. I feel kinda stuck not knowing where the problem is, thanks for the idea.

The MQTT broker should not do the connecting: it’s the Tasmota and OpenZWave clients that should connect to it. Have they been configured with the correct broker address?

I run HA and Mosquitto as separate containers on my DS220+ and they work well like this, although all of my MQTT stuff is manually-configured with no auto-discovery. I just use it for leaf2mqtt and communicating with a Shelly 1PM without the integration.

tomato tomaytoe.

I’m not sure what it was. I tried a few times to update but no luck. I only updated it today and everything seems to be working fine now. Good to see another Synology DS in the wild.