My way to install HASSIO on QNAP NAS

I set it up using the ova file provided here: https://www.home-assistant.io/hassio/installation/
Does anyone have any issues with this one? It seems to work perfectly so far in qnap virtualization station and so much simpler than the other options.

1 Like

When you reboot the UBUNTU server will Home Assistant start up on its own?

Thank you so much for sharing this BjornH
You’re a star! :star2:
I can finally kiss my Raspberry Pi, Goodbye! :wave:

Just one quick silly question guys. I’ve done a snapshot and it is saved under
\myIPaddress\backup
Now to move over my current hassio snapshot from my raspi I have copied that snapshot and pasted in the new backup folder but I can’t see it in my frontend to load up
Does anyone know why it isn’t showing?

EDIT: Fixed it! I changed the name of the old snapshot to the same as the new and deleted the new and it’s loaded.

Hi I get this working. I noticed from my router that homeassistant had gotten a new IP and when I used that IP in port :8123. I could log in to a HA.

Thanks @Rad6!

I am using it and i had no issues so far. Even upgrading works completely normally

Hi, I got it with just one command.

Connect to QNAP via SSH, then run this:

docker run -d --name “hassio-supervisor” --restart always -v /var/run/docker.sock:/var/run/docker.sock -v /var/run/hassio-hc.sock:/var/run/hassio-hc.sock -v “ /share/Container/Home Assistant/HASS/data ”:/data -v “ /share/Container/Home Assistant/HASS/log ”:/var/log -e SUPERVISOR_SHARE=" /share/Container/Home Assistant/HASS " -e SUPERVISOR_NAME=“hassio-supervisor” -e HOMEASSISTANT_REPOSITORY=homeassistant/qemux86-64-homeassistant homeassistant/amd64-hassio-supervisor

it will install Home Assistant with supervisor and any other addon.
it will create 6 dockers.

Notice:
you have to change the bold path, with the one that you want to use on your local NAS.

Now, I have to understand how to set autostart to the HA docker.
I’ve to use the API:

curl -u api_container --insecure -sq -XPUT -b cookies.txt https://XXXXX/containerstation/api/v1/container/lxc/homeassistant/autostart/on

2 Likes

Thanks. I’ve tried this and at about 24 hours so far so good. But I’m just getting my feet we with both virtualization station and home assistant, so I’m not stressing anything.

Reading through the thread, so if your QNAP can do VM, looks like there are 2 ways to get Home Assistant VM into QNAP.

1. QNAP box => Virtualization Station => Linux (Ubuntu) server in VM => following @BjornH’s guide from Jan 2019 (top of this thread) to prepare the Ubuntu and then use the curl install script.
  2. QNAP box => Virtualization Station => use the official HassOS VM, as reported above also by @Rad6, @jtorres, @pewter77, @homeassfan, @lubarb,

So, question: Is there a better way one way over the other? What are the pros and cons?

I have not done either, but from my seat, wouldn’t the route #1 consume more resources than necessary for Ubuntu overhead? Plus you need to constantly keep Ubuntu updated and check all the package dependencies, yes? Route #2 looks like a winner to me.

Appreciate any comments.

1 Like

worked perfectly for me.

I have home assistant accessible in the virtualization station console using the ova, but it’s not being assigned an ip and I’m unable to reach it with any http://xxxxxx:8123 ip address. What settings did you use within virtualization station to make the home assistant instance accessible on the network?

Thanks for suggesting this approach! I’m so close!

On your ‘VirtualizationStation 3’ Application go to Settings and expand the right window ‘Network’ there you will find the IP address that you can access HA from (Note: yours will be different from mine).

I see essentially the same thing in mine except there is no IPv4 address where you have one.

I don’t see any options to enable “virtio-serial” in settings or to install the “Guest agent”, though the information box indicates I should.

It seems so close! The virtual machine is just not being assigned an IP address.

1 Like

It’s working! This is amazing!! Such a simple installation. I’m on a QNAP TS-453be NAS.
Seems I needed to use a Virtio type virtual switch instead of all of the other options, like Intel Gigabit Ethernet as in the screenshots. Also, make sure you check the virtio-serial box in the settings tab for the home assistant virtual machine. It’s under “other”.

Excellent glad you got it working. I was just about to suggest you check the ‘Others’ tab to see if you had enabled ‘Virtio-serial’ :+1:

Hi,
I have HA on my TS-451 Pro + Virtualization station + Ubuntu + Docker
Works fine but I’m preparing to switch to the supported installation using official OVA image and Google Drive Backup Snapshot and Restore option.

The question is: what’s about all docker containers like node-red, grafana etc after switch to OVA? Will all be restored in new VM?

Hi,
iam new to HASSIO and Iam trying to install Home Assistant on mt QNAP TS-253A (Celeron 1.6GHz,GB RAM) using the Virtualization Station 3.
I have downloaded official OVA image from https://www.home-assistant.io/hassio/installation/ and import this image as an Virtual Machine (VM).
However the VM fails to start very time, looking at the console, I’ve spoted some errors but I do know what to do about them.

I’ve tried different configutration of VM but can not get this work.
I’ve also tried OS Type: Generic and Linux Ubuntu 18.04, Network Intel as well as VirtIO
Can someone please suggest corect configuration of VM?

@Bryan @bastero

1 Like

as @Magic posts tried with:
docker run -d --name "hassio-supervisor" --restart always -v /var/run/docker.sock:/var/run/docker.sock -v /var/run/hassio-hc.sock:/var/run/hassio-hc.sock -v /share/container/homeassistant/hass/data:/data -v /share/container/homeassistant/hass/log:/var/log -e SUPERVISOR_SHARE=/share/container/homeassistant/hass -e SUPERVISOR_NAME="hassio-supervisor" -e HOMEASSISTANT_REPOSITORY=homeassistant/qemux86-64-homeassistant homeassistant/amd64-hassio-supervisor

it created 7 containers but hassio_dns permanently restarting and homeassistant works about 2-3 mins and crashes. attempting to start it manually cause an error.
any suggestions?

tried to install OVA image in VS3, but it stopped every time
on the step:
udevd: starting udev-3.2.9

this is resolved. it’s all about virtio-serial enabling