Nabu Casa - Configuration Backup

I think a good feature to make the $5 per month more bearable would be an option for configuration backups to the cloud.

2 Likes

I think because we are all running different setups it is much easier to just do it yourself. I use dropbox flawlessly and as above you can use google drive or even just run your own variation to fling it to a separate folder on your NAS etc etc

That’s the reason, why unified solution would be great, in my opinion Whatever you are running, Nabu Case have your back! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

If they stored your backups, the fee would likely need to be higher to cover increased bandwidth & storage costs…

1 Like

Paulus was just talking about cloud storage of the config via Nabu Casa being a distinct possibility on Frenck’s livefeed. Sounds like he wants it to happen.

1 Like

Surely the increased bandwidth and storage of some YAML files couldn’t be that much. Especially if only changes are sent over the wire.

The HA DB can be rather large, plus all custom components, pages served from www. It’s not just yaml files

1 Like

I didn’t consider the DB, what would be the worst loss if it wasn’t backed up?

This could also have a caveat that only config files are saved and custom components have to be manually added to any restored server setup.

For some probably not a lot for others who require to keep a fair bit of data for reporting etc it would be an issue.

Yeah but that $5/month supports development of Home Assistant.

It would be a shame to see most of the 5$ spent on additional storage and infrastructure when it should be spent on people developing new features for both ha and NC.

1 Like

I ended up using the “Auto Backup Hassio” add-on to do automatic snapshots and backups to my Google Drive. So far it has been working great.

I certainly agree that $5/month to help development is a good cause on its own. Storage is cheap and text files compress redilly.

I thought the idea of HA (at least hass.io) is to become easier for anyone to setup and run (why the move away from yaml files and trying to get all the config into the UI)?

If that is so; then adding automatic backups to NabuCasa is a logical step (at least for hass.io)… I don’t mean the docker file, just the config files; enough to restore to a new box assuming a zwave/zigbee devices isn’t corrupted as well.