NBN FTTN Modem recommendations (Australia)

Hi. The NBN (Fibre to the Node) has finally become available in my Australian premises, and I’d like any recommendations for something NBN-suitable that will work well with HA presence detection (and whatever else I could get with it).
There’s a list of modems at: http://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/fttn_registered_modem_router

Thanks!

Personally I think you would be best to use a generic device_tracker component like PING or NMAP instead of relying on a modem/router that supports it.

I use the PING component for LAN presence detection and OWNTRACKS for the GPS presence detection.

From memory there is a TP-Link component in HASS and this is a brand commonly available in AU.

Thanks Michael!
I’m using iOS now for GPS, instead of Owntracks (used previously). I’ll look into the ping component.

Still interested in modem suggestions…

FYI - the PING component doesn’t work with Windows (as of my last test in a Windows environment) and the NMAP is renowned for BSOD (due to the Npcap that it uses). What are you running your HASS on?

I’m running on a Raspberry Pi 3 with hassbian.

PING is a good bet then, good luck. Let me know if there is any Aussie-centric stuff you need a hand with.

jeez cobber. just wack in tha freebie the I ess pee sent ya and bobs your uncle.

ps i’m with iinet and i just used their crappy one in bridge mode and an apple extreme for routing. the. presence with ios app

The Technicolor TG789VAC v2 is a good stable modem. I have it supplied via iiNet and it’s been rock solid. There is also a component for presence detection, though I haven’t used it as I have an ASUS router that I use

I am using the iinet TG-1 modem router as supplied by iinet. Not sure if it has been superseded now.

I have struggled to put it into bridge mode, so I am using it for wifi as well as modem - and it is sooooo slow to reboot and connect. Also slow to update settings (and reboot).

So I am looking for a simple Ethernet only modem for FTTN that is compliant so I can go back to using my ASUS wifi router with wireless AC etc.

Use NMAP and ios for presence (transitioned from owntracks) - running HASS on a pi2. Works fine except for the iphone going to sleep factor!

I went with the more advanced option provided (sold) by my ISP, a Netcomm NF17ACV.
Fine so far.
Thanks for the input.

On FTTP I’m using a Tenda AC9 I got off Aliexpress.

About $USD50 with gigabit networking and ac wifi yet has worked perfectly so far and wasn’t struggling like my previous D-Link modem/router was. It also has an auto-reboot function which some will appreciate. It has PPPoE login as well.

The only negative is that it needs a plug adaptor (just pins not voltage) so big-footed buffoons kick it out every now and then but having come from ADSL it’s sort of nice to be able to “fix the internet” by just plugging it back in and waiting 15-20 seconds.