Need help migrating my RPI4-based HA System to SSD

Hello,
I want to replace my microSD in my Raspberry Pi 4 with an SSD for long-term stability reasons

TL; DR: I need an SSD and an SSD enclosure for my RPI4 running Home Assistant OS.

I have a Raspberry Pi 4 with Home Assistant OS installed on a 64GB microSD card

It runs fine, but in the past, I had many microSDs crashing and reinstalls needed.
I have a backup to Google Drive set up, but I want to reduce the possibility of a crash since I can restore from backup, but it’s annoying because of the downtime my system has then.

I have thought of getting an SSD to replace the microSD storage for OS and data, but I’m not an expert on this topic.

I have searched amazon.de to find an SSD and an enclosure for it (after reading the list here on the forum) and found this:

SSD

and

enclosure

Can these two parts work with my RPI4 and HA OS?
Do they run well if used 24/7 (just HomeAssistant + NodeRed, no video recording or other heavy stuff)?

If these are not the right parts, could you show me other parts that are better for this task?
The SSD and enclosure need to be:

• available from amazon.de
  • under 200€ in total
  • connectable to my RPI4 and work with HA OS

Thanks for your help

Aaron EIsele

I have an Argon One M2 case, which holds the Raspberry PI and the SSD. It has been running 24/7 for a couple of years. 53 euros from amazon.de, but you have to buy the SSD separately (about 25 euros for 240GB. It has a cooling fan, controlled by a HA add-on. Highly recommended.

2 Likes

Thank you for the recomendation,
But which SSD would you recommend me to buy?

The recommended one is:

WD Green 240GB M.2 Internal SATA SSD | The Pi Hut. It seems to be available from amazon.de.

1 Like

@Stiltjack:
Thanks for your help
(Edited because I saw that the M2 slot of the Argon case indeed is the adaptor I can use for flashing)

Thanks for your help

Aaron Eisele