Network Statistics from Router

When I first installed HA, it automatically found my Netgear router and added a card in the UI which showed a bunch of network statistics. Great. I never gave it another thought.

Today I changed to a TPLink router, and I can’t figure out how (or if) I can get similar information displayed. I don’t even know where to look.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Maybe it was detected thanks to this:

And then you can try to check in your new router if there is UPnP option to enable?

Thanks, there’s a UPnP option in the router setup. I turned it on, but it doesn’t seem to do much. It looks more like a way to use UPnP to map port routing for other internal hosts, not that the router uses UPnP itself.

UPnP doesn’t show up as a service or in HA, although my old router entities show up in the entity registry, “unavailable.” So I’m not sure if there’s anything I need to do to trigger a new search.

Did you also have a look in Configuration / Integrations?

Turn off upnp unless you really need it. It is insecure.

There are various tp-link components. Maybe they will do stats, I don’t know.

SNMP is another possibility, as is web scraping your router.

You might be able to get some information via SNMP (Simple Network Management Protocol).

Yes, Only my old router shows up, as “entity unavailable.” Not the new one.

Nothing in the router manual about SNMP support :frowning:

And then did you try to remove the old (use the trash icon on the top right if I’m correct) and then configure the new one?
Are you using for the moment the two router at the same time on your network? Is the new one the default router on your network?

No, the old ones are still there. I may install the old router somewhere else some day. Right not I’m just using the new one. It is the only router on my network.

Depending on the model, you may be able to load something like DDWRT or OpenWRT which do support SNMP.

FYI, I ended up deleting my home-assistant_v2.db file for another problem, and now when I start HA I get a notice that it’s detected the new UPnP/IGD integration.

However, I also found that the router data was really filling up my database. It was up to 3G at one point. So I’ve decided I really don’t need that level of detail about my network traffic.

Yeah I am not sure HA is really designed for performance management. I currently use Zabbix for that info, have also used Cacti in the past.