New Google Home device tracker Component - Introduced in HA 0.83

If it is of any use for some i found how to activate bluetooth constant advertising on the Galaxy S8 running Oreo.

1. You go in setting on your android phone. (Galaxy S8)
  2. Go in Connections
  3. More connections setting at the bottom of the page.
  4. Activate nearby device scanning.

and voila it will broadcast like any other bluetooth tag.

1 Like

That will be fun for battery lifeā€¦

Yeah, I appreciate the effort the team expends in getting things like this working and I can see it may be useful, but I turned it off when I got to 2,400 entries in my known_devices.yaml

2 Likes

No impact on battery life itā€™s low energy scanning maybe Apple will catch up on this eventually

My iPhone/iPad are detected by GH without enabling broadcast

So it does the same thing low energy scanning no need for the bluetooth to be activated congratulation i did not made this post to start an argument about tech but more to help people who want help

chill outā€¦ itā€™s all good.

Next time be constructive in your comment iā€™m always chill have a good day

The random Mac address appears to be an issue / feature (depending on how you look at it) of BLE. Unless thereā€™s an option to disable it, youā€™re a bit stuck.

I think pairing the device to your Google home should allow it to find the real address. I canā€™t test it myself unfortunately.

interval_seconds: 3
consider_home: 20

Where did you get these variables? In manual no
https://www.home-assistant.io/components/googlehome/

You canā€™t use the config options of one component with another like that. Only the config options listed in the googlehome: doc are valid for the googlehome: componentā€¦ Iā€™m surprised it passes validation

That doesnā€™t mean you can mix and match the config variablesā€¦

In saying that, the docs for the new googlehome components are terrible. Both the googlehome device tracker, and the hub links go to the same page :man_facepalming:

Yes they are definitely not clear, and the new changes have been implemented without any real testing. And is now unusable in its current state. So the more constructive input/reports we can make on GitHub the better. Because this component has a lot of potential and am greatful it exists. It just needs some refinement! (Stop the known_devices.yaml from being 60k + on lines!) Firstā€¦

I could not have said it better byself :clap:

There is already a issue where options are being discussed.
https://github.com/home-assistant/home-assistant/issues/21357

0.89.0 will also have the option to turn off tracking completly if you just want alarms/timers.
https://github.com/home-assistant/home-assistant/pull/21335

2 Likes

Since i set all my devices to track only LE option 2 my know device file stopped being overpopulated and the tracking became faster and more accurate even on the rssi reading.

@vjmindlab how did you do that?
I tried:

googlehome:
  devices:
    - host: 192.168.1.50
      device_types:
      track_alarms: true
    - host: 192.168.1.51
      device_types:

and

googlehome:
  devices:
    - host: 192.168.1.50
      device_types: 2
      track_alarms: true
    - host: 192.168.1.51
      device_types: 2

but neither seem to have the desired effect.

I have the same issue.
In history it look like thea are all present for 17 minutes and start at reguar intevall so it must be some kind of ā€œmac-spamā€

:grinning:

I tried that. Didnā€™t work for me. The real address is identified only if I manually force my phone to do a scan, then it broadcasts itā€™s real BT mac address. Iā€™m using a Pixel XL on Android 9.