New Google Home device tracker Component - Introduced in HA 0.83

Thanks! Will try. Have a great day!

This is why the list of device trackers grows ad infinitem. Thanks for the info.

HI All,

I have 6 Google Homes working s̶e̶a̶m̶l̶e̶s̶s̶l̶y̶(so far, more testing required) as room detection
Using a oneplus6T
Running on a i3 in Docker

Config as below

device_tracker:
# Bedroom Speaker
  - platform: googlehome
    host: 192.168.86.249    
    rssi_threshold: -69
    interval_seconds: 3
    consider_home: 20

# Kitchen Speaker 
    host: 192.168.86.250
    rssi_threshold: -67

# Main Room Speaker   
    host: 192.168.86.35
    rssi_threshold: -69  

# Kitchen Display    
    host: 192.168.86.24
    rssi_threshold: -67   

# Outside Speaker     
    host: 192.168.86.29
    rssi_threshold: -65   
# Lounge Room Speaker     
    host: 192.168.86.63
    rssi_threshold: -65    

Will this not create a ‘known device’-OnePlus6T with 'IP+MAC as mac address per Google Home? If so: How do you handle the 6 different device trackers ?

I just set up my four Google homes but I end up in the same conclusion like some other in the thread. My Pixel 3 XL shows up only when I searching for pair devices to pair. I guess there is no solution to that.

So I’m wondering if a tile could do the work and can be a reliable solution. Anyone that had the chance to test Google home bt tracking with tiles?

I’ve tested with a ‘Nut’ tile which I could not get to detect.
This makes me believe that the GH is only detecting BT and not BLE.

@KKlitgaard yes it does. But as it reports each Google Home device as ‘home’ as I move through the house into the corresponding room I can use the state of the (oneplus6t.mainroom) to determine whether I am or am not in the room.

It’s by no means 100% accurate nore reliable enough in its current state. But has potential.

My biggest issue in the last 24hrs has been it reporting as home on a Google home device in another room. Over the room I’m in???

I only find it accurate enough if my phone is very close to each device.

The google home does detect BLE. I am using a BLE keyring which gets detected

Thanks for the feedback.
I’ll have to look into why mine did not :thinking:

I found the connection very intermittent. I’m using the custom ble component that @kevjs1982 created and it is the best solution I have used so far. Custom BLE

guys, why are you using devices trackes? what are some examples what you can do with it? whats the purpose?

My alarm arms/disarms when the BLE is in range. I have automations that turn off lights after I leave. Also, some automations when I arrive home.

ah, well, i use an email sensor for that :slight_smile:
if my alarm arms/disarms, i get a email, based on body of that email, i do my automations
this is ALWAYS correct, no GPS/BT needed then :slight_smile:
and always reliable…

I’m confused, how does the email work for presence detection?

well, if i arm/disarm my alarm
i get an email like with subject => alarm armed OR alarm disarmed

so i setup an seperate mailbox for that, and the component below, checks the mailbox like every 5 secs, so if the mail comes in, based on the subject, home assistant knows that i am home or not home :slight_smile:

https://www.home-assistant.io/components/sensor.imap_email_content/

I see. You are manually arming/disarming. The BLE units being detected by the RPi will triger the automation for the alarm. I also send emails when the alarm is set and if a window/door is left open. The BLE units are on our keys so the automations trigger when we get home.

Correct, I need to do it on the keypad of my alarm system, my alarm has no integration with other systems, so that’s why I capture the mail

My thought here, but i haven’t done it yet is to write a node-red flow which compares the signal strengths and outputs the one with the highest rssi as the current room. I have 16 google home mini’s and if would work, it would be awesome. :slight_smile:

I see that some people use BLE devices with google home tracker and some other trackers. Whoch devices are you using?

I have one more question, is there anyway to stop known_devices.yaml to grow. I have four google homes and right now it has more that 10000 of lines in less than a day. Using in the configuration tracking_new_devices no or false does just set them track to false but still adding them in the known_devices.yaml

It would be nice if the rssi strength filter applied to them being added to the known devices list