New Google Home device tracker Component - Introduced in HA 0.83

I also tried adding multiple devices and my hassio has slowed to the point of barely usable!

1 Like

All these Away MAC addresses keep on adding as time passes …
So I am assuming these are random mac advertisements from phone.
Only devices in range: iPhone, MacBook. Both added as known devices. A bluetooth keyboard which isn’t in pairing mode (connected to Macbook)

1 Like

Strange, I don’t have this issue. I wonder what could be causing that, or why something would be broadcasting random mac addresses. Can you eliminate what it is by turning the devices off and seeing if it continues?

And strangely enough, iPhone goes to away after 2 minutes. Until I go to bluetooth settings

Monitor on a pi zero w: doesn’t have that problem with the iphone.

1 Like

Can you share what your setup is on the RPiZero? I used to use a Bluetooth scanner that would send updates via MQTT. It worked really good and allowed me to put it in my garage which would detect me as home very quickly, but I found that it degraded my wifi quite a bit in that area.

Checkout monitor in the forums.
Amazing work.

Are those mac addresses all different I suppose? Then in known_device you hide them. They will finish unless you are near a public place where lots of people with ble devices pass

I would like to know as well

Me too having this issue

if you go to:
http://google_homes_ip:8008/setup/bluetooth/scan_results

you should see what it found in the recent scan.

1 Like

I can confirm that Android devices are only tracked when they actively scan for other BT devices. Tested with Samsung Galaxy S8 and A3.

Mine are hidden and have been detected

edit: if you go to the link i sent above yours, can you see your mac addresses in there, even when the phones themselves aren’t scanning?

Came here to ask exactly this.
I get the same behaviour. If my phone is not scanning, the Home does not see it.

I also have a Galaxy S8+

I guess there is no workaround for this, right?

I am at my home with no other devices around.

There is a good chance that the reason people are seeing multiple random MAC addresses is due to all the people who complained about privacy several years ago - who did not want to be tracked by MAC address. iOS devices since iOS v8 use random MAC addresses when they are scanning for networks to connect to.

the device needs to be locked to start randomzing its MAC address.

from: More details on how iOS 8's MAC address randomization feature works (and when it doesn't) - 9to5Mac

Android devices since v8 (Oreo) also give random MAC addresses out when probing for networks to connect to.

See: Implementing MAC Randomization  |  Android Open Source Project

EDIT2: More information about Bluetooth LE privacy - https://blog.bluetooth.com/bluetooth-technology-protecting-your-privacy in general both iOS and Android will only present the REAL MAC address of the device when they are paired to another device. But the address they advertise while scanning for a device / network to connect to - is NOT the real address.

4 Likes

Without arguing about the Randomization stuff too much, the bluetooth location tracker with the RPI works just fine with Android as well as IOS bluetooth devices and we never had to pair them.

iOS appears to only randomise the MAC address on boot, Android 8 (Oreo) and 9 (Pie) are still relatively new, prior to Pie manufacturers had to enable the functionality, it appears like with Pie this happens automatically. You can see from the Android docs this started with v6 Cambios en Android 6.0  |  Android Developers it clearly states

When a device running Android 6.0 (API level 23) initiates a background Wi-Fi or Bluetooth scan, the operation is visible to external devices as originating from a randomized MAC address.

This obviously does not affect every Android device out there, because Android being what it is - some devices probably have the feature disabled by manufacturers, but some devices will have this feature turned on and it would explain why people above are reporting multiple non existent MAC addresses being reported.

It is worth noting however, that LE Privacy is a core part of the Bluetooth v4 spec, and as such while it may well work great right now (for some people), going forward more and more devices will report a different random MAC address when probing for devices.

Did you find any solution? Adding multiple homes it would be great.

No, they do not appear in the scan results - only when I start scanning on the mobile device.

Both devices are running on Android Oreo btw.

Talked to google support about this. I told them I was interested in seeing all ble devices even the ones not activly scanning. Told them I want this for precense and they recommended me to send a feedback from Ghome with this request/feature for the devs to look at

1 Like