crw-rw-rw-    1 root     root        1,   7 Jul 22 23:21 full
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root        428228 Jul 16 00:23 init
drwxrwxrwt    2 root     root            40 Jul 22 23:21 mqueue
crw-rw-rw-    1 root     root        1,   3 Jul 22 23:21 null
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root             8 Jul 22 23:21 ptmx -> pts/ptmx
drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root             0 Jul 22 23:21 pts
crw-rw-rw-    1 root     root        1,   8 Jul 22 23:21 random
drwxrwxrwt    2 root     root            40 Jul 22 23:21 shm
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            15 Jul 22 23:21 stderr -> /proc/self/fd/2
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            15 Jul 22 23:21 stdin -> /proc/self/fd/0
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            15 Jul 22 23:21 stdout -> /proc/self/fd/1
crw-rw-rw-    1 root     root        5,   0 Jul 22 23:21 tty
crw-rw-rw-    1 root     root        1,   9 Jul 22 23:21 urandom
crw-rw-rw-    1 root     root        1,   5 Jul 22 23:21 zero
core-ssh:/dev#

There is a reference in /proc, not sure if that one can be used:

core-ssh:/dev# ls -l /proc/tty/driver
total 0
-r--r--r--    1 root     root             0 Jul 23 15:06 ttyAMA
-r--r--r--    1 root     root             0 Jul 23 15:06 usbserial

Hows gpio errors? Any one have solution to use rpi rf addon???

Thank You

Iā€™ve been running Hassio on RP3B. Currently on 0.74.2
Series of questions:
1- Do I gain anything from formatting and installing the new image with etcher?
2- In that case would I restore the full backup or everything but the HA checkbox?
3- 32 bits or 64 bits?

If youā€™re still on ResinOS I would update (I did update). There wonā€™t be any more host resinos updates.
32 or 64ā€¦ I went 64 and have seen no issues but the recommendation (unexplained) is 32bit.
Make a full snapshot and then restore it. It was pretty painless. You may need to delete the database after you restore the snapshot if you get lots of errors in the log. Also if you go 64 you will definitely need to delete databaseā€¦ my history had flatlined until I did that.

1 Like

64 bit is still being developed. So there is an explanation.

So is the 32bit. Unless you are one of the devs thatā€™s just your speculation, not an explanation.

Well that is the explanation I have seen given.

Yes everything is in development, or weā€™d be using win 3.1 and linux 1.0.

Iā€™ve heard there are issues with the 64bit version in discord but thatā€™s just hearsay as well. As I said Iā€™m using the 64bit with no issues - havenā€™t seen any reported either. Thereā€™s nothing I have seen anywhere that is an explanation for a recommendation. Maybe there are issues with some components but I have no idea.

SD card access is slower than 32 bit, there are conflicts with some addons, and thereā€™s no real point to running the 64 bit as none of the boards have +4GB of ram to take advantage of. So there would seem to be no advantage to running the 64 bit. It isnā€™t some ā€œrumorā€.

Well this is the first real explanation Iā€™ve seen so thanks. Makes you wonder why they made one for a RPi at all. Do we know which addons conflict?

1 Like

My thoughts too, perhaps it falls into the same category as the front end automations UI :slight_smile:

1 Like

Has anybody managed to get the hassos images to boot from usb yet? I.e. not require an SD?

2 Likes

Work in progress. This is how software is developed.

Iā€™m aware of how software is developed. I was referring to the Pi not having the memory to take advantage of 64bit and seemed seemingly offering no advantage.

I have seen reports of 10-15% performance boost from 64 bit pi kernel+userland.

But I have also seen people claim that there is very little difference, or even a penalty.

Iā€™m all for squeezing what we can from the pi, but then again I donā€™t have to support yet another platform.

1 Like

Is it true the current version is slower to load?

It is for me.

Doing some hunting around on info for 64bit distros on the PI it appears to come down to optimization.

The 64 bit builds can be MUCH faster for crypto libraries but many standard libraries that have been fine tuned and optimized are still faster on 32bit.

The main drawback regardless of optimization is cache and memoryā€¦ 64bit code seems to use about 1.5x more memory than 32bit code and since the PIs have a fixed amount and it isnā€™t a lot it could be the one thing that wonā€™t improve.

A lot of benchmarks I found for like for like tests didnā€™t show huge differences in ether direction on average.

2 Likes

Hey talondnb, can you tell me where you got the resin img from please?