New Integration: Inception Alarm System

It seems i’m at a point that i can’t use the MQTT functionality its erroring and dont know enough about Typescript ?, MQTT or docker to fix it.

Very excited to see others having the same idea as me! I had my Inception set up about a year ago and was starting my HA journey when unfortunately I had to remove the system and move house :confounded::gun:
I have installed a few inceptions at work with high level integration with Crestron but didn’t get a chance to test my system out with HA.
I was hoping to have area arm/disarm, PIRs and reeds trigger lights/scenes.
The inception seems to be the perfect system for HA with its API so I’m really looking forward to have a play around with it.
I am using my time at Christmas to jump back on HA and finally get my Inception running with it so will definitely be keeping an eye on any updates here!
Would be great if Inner Range got an actual integration! Especially since NESS has one!

I’m getting an inception system installed soon, then I’ll give a shot at converting @mattl’s great code into an add-on for us folk using home assistant OS (hass.io) / supervised.
It’s already a docker program which is what add-ons are under the hood, will just need to remove the mqtt stuff and map to HA alarm / sensor entities.

2 Likes

That would be handy. I have made a couple of changes to the code and put in a PR, I can say I have been running this for a week or more now as a docker instance. If I had more of an understanding of HA I would try give it a go, but I do not.

I am sure you will have a lot of fun with this one Sam once you get your alarm in.

Once again many thanks Matt!

1 Like

Anyone got any ideas on Integriti system (Big brother of inception) integration unfortunately i don’t thin integriti uses a API so makes it hard . I would be intrested in ideas on the best direction so while i am port sniffing controllers i know where to start thanks

So I got it working, repo is https://github.com/samturner3/homeassistant-addons/tree/main/inception-mqtt

See [Release] Inception alarm/access control panel by Innerrange for detailed installation instructions.

Let me know how you go, this is my first addon :slight_smile:
@takenalias
@pcxnet
@denjburke
@darkly
@MyCool

Absolutely Brilliant

Integriti has a couple different methods of integration, one of which is the exact same Rest/XML interface as Inception. However it is a paid feature on Integriti.

Hi @samburner3, thank you for wrapping the container in a HACS add-on. I now have it installed and running!

@MyCool I’m a certified Integriti installer and just about every interface (excluding lifts) requires an Integriti server to perform / setup. As @darkly noted, most of these are also paid license features. Having said that, Inner Range recently changed the licensing model to feature levels, so no more licensing every single feature individually. I can look at a license cost for you if you want?

@mattl This is awesome, I like the fact you made it with MQTT to keep the HA overhead low and allow for long polling. I have noticed the only thing not working is the Area state changes to Armed, as I don’t use mulitmode arming. I have just noticed @takenalias has updated the config to support this, thank you, I will look at updating.

@samburner3 do you know if your HACS release includes the changes made by @takenalias on February 25th?

Sorry to dump all this in one message, just excited as this was the last thing I had to integrate to complete the HA install. I’ll upload some screen shots on my setup shortly.

Cheers everybody!!!

If anyone is interested, I have an Inception panel setup in my house, connected to an 8 Zone LAN Expander in my shed. It’s now all added into HA.

Very interested. What are the steps you followed?

Hi @pcxnet,

I use a Supervised install on a QNAP, so for me I used HACS.

Setup the Inception Panel

1. Log into your Inception panel
  2. Configuration -> Users - Manage Users
  3. Click the +Add button
  4. Set a name for the user account (I used hassio)
  5. Under credentials, Enable Web Login
  6. Set a username, password and change the Web Page Profile to REST Web API User.

hassio user

1. Change to the Permissions section, and in what you want the HA user account to have access to.

That completes the setup for the Inception.

Now onto Home Assistant.

1. Create a user account in Home Assistant for the Mosquitto MQTT to use.
  2. Install Mosquitto MQTT from HACS
  3. Go to integrations and configure MQTT
  4. I left the broker and port default, then entered in my user account details created in step 1.
  5. Go back to HACS -> Add-on Store -> Three dots icon -> Repositories
  6. Add Sam’s repository: https://github.com/samturner3/homeassistant-addons
  7. Install: inception-mqtt addon from Sam’s Home Assistant Addons
  8. Open the inception-mqtt addon and select the Configuration tab
  9. In the configuration, set the following:
    Base URL: http://INCEPTION IP ADDRESS/api/v1
    Username: Inception user account, in my example hassio
    Password: Password for the user account setup in the Inception.
    Alarm Code: This is the code you must enter in the Alarm Panel card, to allow the Inception add-in to send an arm or disarm code. By default, the card will not require a PIN to arm and disarm. This PIN is not related to a user PIN in the Inception panel.
  10. Save the changes
  11. Restart Home Assistant
  12. Once restarted, go into the inception-mqtt addon LOG and confirm you see Inception information coming through.

eg:
Polling input received id ‘8766c2b3-ab12-452c-9311-10d56d38997e’ with public state ‘64’ in binary ‘000001000000’
Sending payload: Off to topic: inception/binary_sensor/8766c2b3-ab12-452c-9311-10d56d38997e
Polling monitor updates with payload [{“ID”:“AreaStateRequest”,“RequestType”:“MonitorEntityStates”,“InputData”:

Assuming it is all working, you will see the entities appear.

Areas -> alarm_control_panel.area_name
Inputs -> binary_sensor.sensor_name
Doors -> lock.door_name

Here is the excerpt of YAML from my ui-lovelace.yaml file, for the security tab. I have deliberately disabled arming and disarming the system from Home Assistant, as I use SkyCommand for additional security. This is a paid service that operates over Telstra and Optus secure 4G networks.

### Security System View #################################################
  - title: Security
    path: security
    icon: mdi:shield-lock-outline
    cards:
### Roller doors and Gates
      - type: horizontal-stack
        cards:
          - type: button
            entity: switch.left_roller_door
            entity: switch.right_roller_door
      - type: horizontal-stack
        cards:
            entity: switch.front_gate
            entity: switch.middle_gate
###
### Areas
      - type: glance
        state_color: true
        tap_action: none
        hold_action: none
        double_tap_action: none
        entities:
          - alarm_control_panel.house
          - alarm_control_panel.shed
### Sensors
      - type: entities
        state_color: true
        entities:
          - lock.back_door
          - binary_sensor.back_door
          - binary_sensor.living_room
          - binary_sensor.front_bedroom
          - binary_sensor.middle_bedroom
          - binary_sensor.master_bedroom
          - binary_sensor.smoke_alarms
          - binary_sensor.shed_side_door
          - binary_sensor.shed_left_roller_door
          - binary_sensor.shed_right_roller_door
          - binary_sensor.shed_ir_detector
          - binary_sensor.external_siren_box
###

Hopefully that will help some other people out with setting this up.

@MyCool and @stewball
I have a completely licenced Integriti system including the read/write XML which I could test this on, once my Inception integration is up and running at home.

I’m not running supervisor (Synology NAS with Home Assistant in Docker) so need to set it up manually.

Thanks so much @stewball ! I’ll give it a go.

thanks and sorry for the late reply! Yes, everything is instant. It long polls (because that’s the only option), but is extremely efficient and fast.

Yes, you can see every input/output individually in home assistant/node red. It works 2-ways.

Hey guys,

So I’ve got the addon from @samburner3 set up using the method @stewball described and it works flawlessly on a large scale system with multiple zones/doors.

Now instead of the local IP address, I also tried setting it up remotely using the serial number and its free Skytunnel portal (link below).
https://skytunnel.com.au/Inception/in12345678/api/v1

To my surprise it actually works with very little delay but I wouldn’t expect anyone to need this method since the panel is likely to be on the same site as Home Assistant. So the question becomes, can we connect to multiple inceptions at multiple locations?

To answer @MyCool I tested it with Integriti and a licensed XML interface. Whilst similar to Inception it is still different and this integration would need a complete re-write to work on Integriti.

@mattl fantastic work!

1 Like

It does not but in the next version I’m planning to include that along with being able to define custom MQTT broker incase the user is using a broker outside of HA.

@mattl @samburner3 I’m not sure what the issue is, its all connected but its not picking up the status of my main “Area” (PCX Internal), my "PCX Garage " area is working , as are all the sensors etc, but it detects my main area in HA, but just always says disarmed.

My garage area, has a partial mode and full mode, and it works fine, my main area, just has full arm, but always shows disarmed , in history and logs.

Any info i can look for to diagnose this? (They area always armed/disarmed together).

Can you please arm it and paste in the logs from the inception docker container.

I suspect it will be something to do with only having full arming available. As a troubleshooting step, can you enable multimode arming for the House area and see if that makes things work?