New login stuck in initialisation loop so are there old incompatible device work arounds?

Running home assistant from pi3b+ under hypriot. Chrome on windoze 10 happily connecting. Chrome on Samsung A8 phone happily connection.

My poor old Acer A500 running Android 4.0.3 and chrome 4.x seems to connect, flashes up the message “Initializing” and stops there.

I may be out of luck using the old tablet for a home assistant android client since the android app is also incompatible with my A500.

Has anyone else been able to patch an older version of chrome to be able to use it with homeassistant?

Now in the background I notice a plugin for tasker that talks to homeassitant but I am after a simple HMI with buttons for the wife to control and not a full blown application on the tablet. The HA HMI gave me that, it certainly works on the other gadgets since madam is well and truly comfortable with four buttons on offer and since she not need to skip through menus and pages and start scripts and all the things she is not expecting to do. We “royal” will certainly not want two different HMI between various gadgets being used to control the home.

Alternatively, given there appears to be a means to drive homeassistant by applications, has anyone done something in Kotlin that has been shared around please? Yes I know there is info on the API but you know there is pain still to be had taking that route and if someone has passed through that pain that would be great. I might be able to get away with a facsimile of the HA HMI - to stave off learning hysteria.

Now I know also that, in a pinch, I can hack up a few buttons and ping via MQTT so thanks I will keep that up my sleave, getting a grip on the HA API might be useful for other things for sure.

Cheers,
B

Plodding through the curl examples on the API help page I found this probably less of a learning curve than the core scripting. Still any example use of the API from Kotlin would still be a help. I am about half way through a starter course in Kotlin in the background so might still bumble through unaided on the Kolin idea, but if anyone has a hack to get HA HMI working on older devices that would be great!

Although if I use the curl based example from the API “help” page:

$ curl -X POST -H "Authorization: Bearer ABCDEFGH" \
       -H "Content-Type: application/json" \
       -d '{"entity_id": "switch.christmas_lights"}' \
       http://localhost:8123/api/services/switch/turn_on

With “switch.christmas_lights” set to my “switch.zone_1” and ABCDEFGH switched to my permanent token and “localhost” set to the IP of my HA server I get:

curl: (3) [globbing] unmatched close brace/bracket in column 14
{"message": "Data should be valid JSON."}

So the switch in HA is not getting turned on. The relay on the physical device, representing the virtual switch in HA, is certainly not coming on.

The switch and associated relay both still work happily from the HA HMI whenever the physical is powered on.

So, is the example POST correct?

I have been curling with the same token and ip to GET various data responses based upon the GET examples on the same page. So changing GET to POST and adding the -d clause should not have been a problem.

To save hassles the full call (excluding my actual token) is:

$ curl -X POST -H "Authorization: Bearer ABCDEFGH" \
       -H "Content-Type: application/json" \
       -d '{"entity_id": "switch.zone_1"}' \
       http://192.168.0.100:8123/api/services/switch/turn_on

Moreover, if it helps, the following works fine:

curl -X GET -H "Authorization: Bearer ABCDEFGH"        -H "Content-Type: application/json"       http://192.168.0.100:8123/api/states/switch.zone_1

Happily returning:

{"attributes": {"friendly_name": "Zone 1", "icon": ""}, "context": {"id": "ad87fc27c3304a5fab6dcf27a8e5868c", "parent_id": null, "user_id": null}, "entity_id": "switch.zone_1", "last_changed": "2020-04-18T14:05:49.638539+00:00", "last_updated": "2020-04-18T14:05:49.638539+00:00", "state": "unavailable"}

Yep, and for the discerning audience, you’ll note the device “state”: “unavailable”. Before you get exited, if I power the device up that then makes the state change from “state”: “unavailable” to “state”: “off” (the default on powerup of the device). If I then try the curl command to turn the switch on, the same error response behaviour ensues, that is:

curl: (3) [globbing] unmatched close brace/bracket in column 14
{"message": "Data should be valid JSON."}

Depressing also there appears nothing in the developers log relating to any of the API based transactions, including the errors.

Sprinkler device is ESP Home based running on WEMOS DI R2 arduino type board.

Cheers,
B