New Sensor not showing up in HomeAssistant

Hi…

I’ve got a strange problem.

I have two ESP8266 for testing on a breadboard, a Wemos D1 Mini and a NodeMCU.
A cuple of days ago I put together a NodeMCU (1 DHT22 for indoor temp, and one Dallas 18B20 for outside temp) for my living room. First i put everything together on the breadboard to get the dallas ID, and see that it worked. No problems.

Then I took the config and copy / pasted it to the new “live” one. But the names where wrong, so i changed them after I’ve added it to integrations in HA.

The indoor temp / hygrometer works fine, but the outside temp dosent work in HA. When i upload a new firmware i get the temp from the sensor, with the new name.
When i go to Configuration - Integrations - Livingroom ESP i see the sensors, but the Outside temp has the old name, and won’t recieve the temp.

I’ve tried to upload new firmware to the NodeMCU, tried cliean build, tried restarting the HA-server.
Any ideas?

Thanks…

Did you try deleting the integration and readding it?

You know when someone is stating the obvious and you feel stupid as a stone?

This is one of those times…

I’ve looked for removing it, but I think that I’ve been under devices then and couldn’t find it…
Thank you for your comment, it worked… (Auto discover didn’t work, but it was easy to add it manually.

I have found the AutoDiscover can take a little while so I just add it manually.

It runs at boot and then every five minutes. So if you are impatient you can always restart.

This is an old thread, but I’ll revive this anyway, as I’m having the same problem.

I have had two different installations of HA: the first installation was a supervised installation, and now I’m running HAOS under virtual machine. The only extra spice is, that HA is on 192.168.0.1/23 network and sensors are on 192.168.20.1/24 network. The HA installation 192.168.1.4 can freely access everything on 192.168.20.1/24 network.

The ESPHome as such can’t detect sensors without enabling the “status_use_ping” -option.

Here is my latest example sensor. The word “savustin” is in Finnish, it means “smoker”. It is going to monitor my fish and meat smoking box. :slight_smile:

esphome:
  name: savustin

esp8266:
  board: d1_mini

# Enable logging
logger:

mqtt:
  broker: 192.168.1.6
  topic_prefix: esphome/savustin
  discovery: false

# Enable Home Assistant API
api:

ota:
  password: "c10584b2da7d53d9015170ebe0873f6e"

wifi:
  ssid: !secret wifi_ssid
  password: !secret wifi_password

  # Enable fallback hotspot (captive portal) in case wifi connection fails
  ap:
    ssid: "Savustin Fallback Hotspot"
    password: "f2gpbenIx6uq"

captive_portal:

i2c:

sensor:
  - platform: bme280
    temperature:
      name: "savustin-lampotila"
      oversampling: 16x
    pressure:
      name: "savustin-ilmanpaine"
    humidity:
      name: "savustin-kosteus"
    address: 0x77
    update_interval: 5s
  - platform: wifi_signal
    name: "savustin-WiFi RSSI"
    update_interval: 300s
  - platform: adc
    pin: VCC
    name: "ulkoanturi-VCC Voltage"
    update_interval: 300s

# Example configuration entry
button:
  - platform: restart
    name: "Savustin Restart"    

I can see from my router, that there is constant ping traffic (once per 10 seconds) between HA (192.168.1.4) and the sensor (192.168.20.17), but nothing else. Sensor is not trying to send anything else towards HA.

Here is link to tcpdump log from my router. It has all traffic from/to this sensor’s MAC address. On the log, there is firmware upgrade (about packet 1234), sensor restarts and gets new DHCP address. There is 5 minutes of just normal operation, HA restart (abound packet 2246), then 10 minutes of normal operation. I can’t find anything related to discovery in this tcpdump log.