New Server in the Basement - Zigbee USB in the Apartment

Hi All!

I have to renew my IT at home and I am thinking about a home server with Proxmox. The server that provides the Homeassistant VM would be in the basement and not in the apartment (noisy fans) I only have a 10GBE fiber optic connection in the basement. The Zigbee Stick is currently connected to an Intel Nuc in the apartment. How would you solve the USB connection in the basement to the new server? Have somebody already done that? USB to LAN converter or something else?

Current situation:
Intel NUC with VM Player 16 and USB HA Sky Connect Zigbee Stick in the living room

New situation:
Server with Proxmox in the basement - 10GBE Fiber three floors up - USB HA SkyConnect via ???

I don’t know if this will work, but there are inexpensive USB over Ethernet adapters.

I have used Video over IP baluns with some success, but I’ve never needed a USB extension.

1 Like

First off, the easy question: are you sure the usb adapter can’t reach the apartment from the basement? My ha server is in the basement of my 2 story house, and with a few repeaters (sonoff outlets), I have no troubles at all.

1 Like

I live on the 2nd floor and it is an apartment building. I can’t plug in a repeater in someone else’s apartment :smiley:

You could invest in an Ethernet based adapter.

Here is a list of them :

https://www.zigbee2mqtt.io/guide/adapters/#recommended

1 Like

Never said you’d have to. Mine are on the second floor. Recommend you try it.