Nextcloud calls triggered from home assistant

Hi everyone.

I use a phone call automation action as part of my home alarm automation. I find this is a lot more difficult to miss than a notification when the alarm is triggered. I’m currently using “callmebot” which makes calls with telegram. Its cloud based and not 100% reliable which is a bit annoying. There was also a period a few weeks ago where it didn’t work at all because their severs were too busy.

The purpose of this post is to see if its possible to add a feature to trigger “Nextcloud talk” calls with home assistant automations. Nextcloud have documentation regarding their API but I’m a bit of a noob and I don’t really know what to do with it. I tried playing about with it a bit but kept getting errors. There is already a custom component which allows sending and receiving “Nextcloud talk” messages but it can’t make calls.

This type of feature would solve both issues I’m currently having as can be run locally and should be more reliable.

Nextcloud API documentation: Call management - Nextcloud Talk API documentation
Current custom nextcloud component: https://github.com/p-nn/ha-nextcloud-talk-client

If there are any other alternatives that other people have used that would be nice to know too.

Thanks

I’m in the same situation. Is there any callmebot reliable alternative?

@harbdans. Has you achieved something?

Thanks

Yes, with the help of chatGPT, I actually managed to work out the API. Unfortunately, the “send call notification” function of the API doesn’t actually start a call. It doesn’t even make a device ring, it just sends a notification saying there is a call. It also only works if the call has already been started.

So basically the API can’t actually do the functionality I was looking for. Maybe in a future update.

:man_shrugging: