No longer a stable connection via duckdns domain

Arh! This coincided with me upgrading to 2022.9.1 a couple of days ago. I thought it was my setup. Glad I found this thread.
HA works fine going direct on https://homeassistant.local:8123, but not via duckdns.org

Same same issue here

Moved to Google domains. Got a cheap domain and enabled dynamic DNS for a subdomain.
To keep your Public IP up to date: Hass Integration - Google Domains

Installed the LetsEncrypt Addon, and get a cert with the HTTP challenge.
All good now. Good bye DuckDNS, was a good 3 months :smiley:

1 Like

Same problem. Google Home was malfunctioning due to sync issue.
Now I have migrated to no-ip, free version at the moment and 0 problems.
I have also migrated the SSL certificate with them, you have 1 free.

I just hope duckdns fixes itself - had no issues for 18 months, Really don’t need the hassle of setting up something new for the 5 sites I use it for

I’m in the same boat, don’t want the hassle of migrating… but if a multi-day outage can occur once it’ll probably happen again. Also find it strange DuckDNS doesn’t have any comms on this.
Its a free service and really cool it existed, but I think I’m going to switch to cloudflare… as I was always thinking it might be better for response time and security.

1 Like

I’ll give it a week or so before I look at other methods/services. Luckily I still have the OpenVPN to my local but my widgets on my phone for entities that use the service don’t work.

1 Like

DNS propagation issues… I would say impact all of us. We better look for some bitcoins to donate :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I just create a domain with google domains, do you know if it’s possible to use swag with google domains? and another question, what kind of authentication did you use with let’s encrypt DNS or HTTP?

Anybody migrate their google assistant app. Any tips smoothly moving that over to a new domain, or is it worth setting it up by scratch?

Same here for the last few days - been pulling my hair out and restarting/updating (probably making things worse).

I guess I’ll wait for this to be fixed by duckdns :frowning:

2 Likes

I had the same issue. I switched to Cloudflared.

This has the advantage of the default Cloudflare integration (ddns, waf, etc.) but it also creates a Cloudflare tunnel, so no more ports to forward in your router!

2 Likes

Is there an lxc proxmox cloudfare helper script? I don’t use addons - only lxc containers.
Might have a look into it - thanks

possibly this one-
https://hub.docker.com/r/cloudflare/cloudflared

Have you got google home working with Cloudflared?

I’m not using Google Home at the moment. But I could give it a try, just to check.

But one user on Github is reporting that it is working for him.

1 Like

I haven’t switched to cloudflare because they don’t allow high traffic like video through plex. Amy other alternatives other than my own domain with LetsEncrpyt?

@everyone it seems i hot my connection back at Google home and control everything again with my voice!

3 Likes

duckdns seems to have stabilized here, no outages for about an hour.
Fingers crossed

3 Likes

Same here, it’s working again. But given the duration and severity of the issue, i don’t want to rely on duckdns anymore in the future. It’s not stable enough for what I expect in home automation.

Therefore, i’m considering the clourflare solution as described here: The Easiest Free Way To Do Home Assistant Remote Access! - YouTube
Does anyone has experience with this solution?

Anyone had luck with freedom?

I got stuck at this point after creating a domain with freedom and account with cloudfare setting up the cloudfare integration:

Unusable TLDs
Due to a limitation in the Cloudflare API, you can not use this integration with any of the following TLD’s:

.cf
.ga
.gq
.ml
.tk

Freenom only issues these so as far as I can see freenom will not work on HA following the youtube instructions

1 Like