NWS radar images

It would be under logger, e.g.:

logger:
  default: critical
  logs:
    custom_components.nwsradar: debug

But I see there are more options available in the instructions. Typically I have logger commented out. I suppose I’d have to set it up for logging at the default level and then use the service to change it when it misbehaves. Correct?

You are right logger. I would recommend just setting the default to error or info and not specifying a level for nwsradar. Most problems are logged as error, so I personally wouldn’t filter those out. Then when it stalls, use the service to set the level to debug for this custom component only.

You can run the service in the dev section of the UI somewhere in the toolbar. You don’t have to create a script for it.

Yes, I know how to use the service under Developer Tools>Service. But the instructions say the level can be altered on the fly. That implies the service for the component has to be there in the first place. Right?

The logger component needs to be in your configuration I assume, but that’s it. You said you had it commented out. Do you get any logging?

Currently, I get the home-assistant.log output at the default level. I think that much occurs without explicitly having logging in the configuration. It must work that way, or I wouldn’t get anything. This seems to confirm it:

https://community.home-assistant.io/t/home-assistant-log-file-not-created/48644

All very confusing, but I’m pretty sure you do not need to explicitly set a log level for this (edit: or any) interegration to be able to set it later using a service.

No matter. I’ll try to experiment with it when I have a bit more time. At the very least, logger must be un-commented in the configuration because there’s no logger service listed without it. In addition, I’ll try to make sure I can turn on critical and change it to info to confirm things are working. I don’t want to be guessing when I need it to work.

BTW, thanks for the help and info.

I think I have it working. I say ‘think’ because I have yet to find a direct indicator that a service call was successful. For anyone who’s interested, this is how it’s set up in configuration.yaml:

logger:
  default: critical
  logs:
    custom_components.nwsradar: debug

This is what’s reported in the home-assistant.log file:

2020-06-20 19:38:29 DEBUG (SyncWorker_4) [custom_components.nwsradar.camera] update image
2020-06-20 19:38:29 DEBUG (SyncWorker_4) [custom_components.nwsradar.camera] display image
2020-06-20 19:38:39 DEBUG (SyncWorker_7) [custom_components.nwsradar.camera] display image
2020-06-20 19:38:49 DEBUG (SyncWorker_8) [custom_components.nwsradar.camera] display image
2020-06-20 19:43:39 DEBUG (SyncWorker_5) [custom_components.nwsradar.camera] update image
2020-06-20 19:59:09 DEBUG (SyncWorker_5) [custom_components.nwsradar.camera] update image
2020-06-20 20:30:09 DEBUG (SyncWorker_4) [custom_components.nwsradar.camera] update image
2020-06-20 20:35:19 DEBUG (SyncWorker_3) [custom_components.nwsradar.camera] update image
2020-06-20 20:40:29 DEBUG (SyncWorker_9) [custom_components.nwsradar.camera] update image

I can find logger.set_level under services and effectively inhibit debug messages with the following Service Data entry:

custom_components.nwsradar: critical

For now, logging has been restored to debug as it’s not generating much data. I’ll leave it alone and see if anything misbehaves.

Thanks once again.

i am only able to get the white background style to load with this… i was really hoping for the topographical background like the initial image… has support for that stopped?

Looks good to me, how have you configured it?

this is how it’s setup in yaml for me:

- platform: nwsradar
    station: MKX
    type: N0R

You want Enhanced style. I need to update the readme since the first example produces the white background.

1 Like

ok. got it now… i think i had a “type: N0R” there when i tried it before and it wouldn’t work. but it’s working now

Version 0.5.0 was posted with ability to configure through the UI and also ability to manage entities through the UI.

how is this accomplished? i just see the option to select the entities

update: nevermind… figured it out… lol

After there better directions I can provide on the readme to help others?

WELL ???

I don’t know what question you are asking.

I hope this helps you.

You need the 3-letter identifier, e.g. LWX for the Sterling, VA radar. You can find the stations using the map found at https://radar.weather.gov/. Once you select a station, the identifier is found on the radar image at the top.

For the frontend integration, you need a card entry. Here’s what mine looks like:

cards:
      - entity: camera.sterling_va_nexrad
        type: picture-entity

For the integration, here are the setup panels I have configured. There are two integrations as one was configured with HACS and the other was using the newer configuration UI.

Configure_2