Old settings after restart raspberry

3 days ago i have installed the latest version on my rpi.
every time i restart the rpi i get the installation exactly from that moment.

all changes are gone again.
i can change the files with winscp or on the rpi itselve. and then they work like they should, untill …

i restart the rpi and i can start all over.

anyone who knows what is wrong?

Rene - did you use the AIO installer? What path are you using to your config files?

no i didnt use allinone.

i just followed the instructions after i already had raspbian there.

the configfiles are in /home/hass/.homeassistant

and hass is in a virtual enviroment. in /srv/hass/hass_venv/bin

Hmmm. Path looks correct - same one I am using in my AIO install. And my HA is in a venv as well.

What are you using for an editor?

i tried with nano or over the network.
it edits allright, but after and then i can check and see that ist edited.
it works. but after a reset everything is back to what it was.

the db is exactly from 2 days ago again.
all yaml files are back to old.
the mysensor files.

it seems like the virtual enviroment is saved and gets set back every time i restart.

I’ve been deep searching the forums and can’t find anything on this Rene, but I’ll keep looking. The db thing is what makes this extra weird…

Is HASS the owner on the /srv/hass/hass_venv/bin and /home/hass/.homeassistant?

yeah i tried searching also but didnt come up with anything.

hass is owner of everything in the srv dir and hass is owner of everthing in the config dir, exept a few dirs i made there to let appdeamon write sensorvalues. those are owned by root.

i hate virtual enviroments, daemons, etc. now i know why again :stuck_out_tongue:

i get the feeling that the virtual enviroment get rebuild every time i restart the rpi.

That matches my setup; some of the sub directories and all the YAML files are owned by root.

And I hate manual installs, that’s why I stick with the AIO installer. Now I know why again! :laughing:

Having never set one up manually, I’m not sure but it does sound like it. The only thing I could find that would revert changes though was the venv “deactivate” command.

i am still to unfamiliar with Linux ( and will stay that way if i trust allinones :wink: )

i am thinking about lots of options, but dont know what to do with it.

have i done the update from hass in another venv? hmm how to check if there are more venv’s?
how does virtual enviroment work? probably a db or a list with actual files.
where is that placed? what are the rights from those files? what should they be?
could it be that the rights in the venv are wrong so that hass cant save its venv?
how to find that out?

googling about venv… hmm to bad, cant find that easy. :frowning:

you see i am rambling on, just to get my brain to go into the right direction.

https://virtualenv.pypa.io/en/stable/userguide/

Best I could find so far…

pff.
reading in the userguide i find that there must be a ini file.
guess what…

the place where it should be and the file arent where they should be. :frowning:

now sweepsearching the whole root again for that file in the hope to get anywhere.

Well, that gets you somewhat closer…

not really.

i am not sure if it should be there and if so what it should look like.

do you have any kind of ini file in your venv?

Rene,
go and edit what you think you wann edit. Save it and than go to the commandline. Navigate to your vaml files and do a #cat of that yaml file you edited. Check if the content is what you expect. Otherwhise go to the .homeassistant folder and do a # sudo chmod +777 *.yaml
this will change permission and everybody can edit the yaml.

thx, but i have no problem with editing my files or with permissions from yaml files.

Did you ever resolve this issue? I’m having the same problem, even though I’m not running my hassbian install in a virtual environment.

yeah i have no problems anymore, but i cant remember what the problem was. sorry.

1 Like

My problem was, that my SD Card went read-only. I had to replace it.

2 Likes

Agree with @raty a failed or failing sd card will do this.

could very well be that that was my problem also.
i have replaced some in the past.