I’m using Onkyo TX-NR636 with this config:

media_player:
  - platform: onkyo
    host: 192.168.84.17
    name: Onkyo
    sources:
      pc: 'Living Room'   
    scan_interval: 20

I managed to get it working once but now and then it becomes unresponsive.
Logs in the Configuration show:

Setup of media_player platform onkyo is taking over 10 seconds.

Docker container reports this:

DEBUG (SyncWorker_30) [homeassistant.components.onkyo.media_player] Resetting connection to Onkyo

I have tried power cycle it like suggested here but no luck: Onkyo not responding

For some reason Home Assistant makes my Onkyo unresponsive even to the onkyo app (Remote3) which normally works.

Any idea?

2 Likes

I am getting the exact same problem, I also have the TX-NR636. When I tried using the onkyo command, I can discover it, the onkyo-eiscp script breaks and gives this error:

/config # onkyo --discover
TX-NR636        192.168.0.10:60128      0009B0D8562B

/config # onkyo -n 636 system-power=off
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/bin/onkyo", line 8, in <module>
    sys.exit(run())
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/eiscp/script.py", line 179, in run
    sys.exit(main() or 0)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/eiscp/script.py", line 136, in main
    response = receiver.raw(iscp_message)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/eiscp/core.py", line 470, in raw
    return filter_for_message(self.get, iscp_message)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/eiscp/core.py", line 270, in filter_for_message
    raise ValueError('Timeout waiting for response.')
ValueError: Timeout waiting for response.

Hello, I also have a TX-NR636 AVR that has a bug and your problem may be because of this.

If you turn it on and a packet arrives at port tcp / 60128 during this time (approximately 1 minute) the system stops responding completely.

My solution was to disconnect or block traffic to him for the first minute. After that time the AVR works as expected.

It also serves as a solution to use the “Network Standby” system, when you wake it up from standby you don’t have that problem.