OTA update reports success but does not actually update

So I have a ESP32 running home assistant glow.

Whenever I edit the yaml using ESPHome then click install OTA it appears to work fine but my changes are not reflected in the ESP32

eg. I can add a new text field to be displayed, or indeed upgrade ESPHome itself but nothing changes in the webui I see for the glow, if I add a new service that won’t appear etc etc

I end up having to physically plug the ESP32 into my Pi running HA then update that way which works fine.

Any ideas?

Below is the install process via OTA apparently working:

Compiling /data/homeassistant-glow/.pioenvs/homeassistant-glow/FrameworkArduino/esp32-hal-timer.c.o
Compiling /data/homeassistant-glow/.pioenvs/homeassistant-glow/FrameworkArduino/esp32-hal-touch.c.o
Compiling /data/homeassistant-glow/.pioenvs/homeassistant-glow/FrameworkArduino/esp32-hal-uart.c.o
Compiling /data/homeassistant-glow/.pioenvs/homeassistant-glow/FrameworkArduino/libb64/cdecode.c.o
Compiling /data/homeassistant-glow/.pioenvs/homeassistant-glow/FrameworkArduino/libb64/cencode.c.o
Compiling /data/homeassistant-glow/.pioenvs/homeassistant-glow/FrameworkArduino/main.cpp.o
Compiling /data/homeassistant-glow/.pioenvs/homeassistant-glow/FrameworkArduino/stdlib_noniso.c.o
Compiling /data/homeassistant-glow/.pioenvs/homeassistant-glow/FrameworkArduino/wiring_pulse.c.o
Compiling /data/homeassistant-glow/.pioenvs/homeassistant-glow/FrameworkArduino/wiring_shift.c.o
Archiving /data/homeassistant-glow/.pioenvs/homeassistant-glow/libFrameworkArduino.a
Linking /data/homeassistant-glow/.pioenvs/homeassistant-glow/firmware.elf
RAM:   [=         ]  12.8% (used 42012 bytes from 327680 bytes)
Flash: [=====     ]  54.2% (used 993746 bytes from 1835008 bytes)
Building /data/homeassistant-glow/.pioenvs/homeassistant-glow/firmware.bin
esp32_create_combined_bin(["/data/homeassistant-glow/.pioenvs/homeassistant-glow/firmware.bin"], ["/data/homeassistant-glow/.pioenvs/homeassistant-glow/firmware.elf"])
Generating combined binary for serial flashing
    Offset | File
 -  0x1000 | /data/cache/platformio/packages/framework-arduinoespressif32/tools/sdk/bin/bootloader_dio_40m.bin
 -  0x8000 | /data/homeassistant-glow/.pioenvs/homeassistant-glow/partitions.bin
 -  0xe000 | /data/cache/platformio/packages/framework-arduinoespressif32/tools/partitions/boot_app0.bin
 - 0x10000 | /data/homeassistant-glow/.pioenvs/homeassistant-glow/firmware.bin

Using esptool.py arguments: --chip esp32 merge_bin -o /data/homeassistant-glow/.pioenvs/homeassistant-glow/firmware-factory.bin --flash_size 4MB 0x1000 /data/cache/platformio/packages/framework-arduinoespressif32/tools/sdk/bin/bootloader_dio_40m.bin 0x8000 /data/homeassistant-glow/.pioenvs/homeassistant-glow/partitions.bin 0xe000 /data/cache/platformio/packages/framework-arduinoespressif32/tools/partitions/boot_app0.bin 0x10000 /data/homeassistant-glow/.pioenvs/homeassistant-glow/firmware.bin

Wrote 0x102a40 bytes to file /data/homeassistant-glow/.pioenvs/homeassistant-glow/firmware-factory.bin, ready to flash to offset 0x0
======================== [SUCCESS] Took 154.63 seconds ========================
INFO Successfully compiled program.
INFO Connecting to 192.168.1.20
INFO Uploading /data/homeassistant-glow/.pioenvs/homeassistant-glow/firmware.bin (993856 bytes)
Uploading: [============================================================] 100% Done...

INFO Waiting for result...
INFO OTA successful
INFO Successfully uploaded program.
==== [SUCCESS] /config/esphome/homeassistant-glow.yaml ====

======================== [SUMMARY] ========================
  - /config/esphome/homeassistant-glow.yaml: SUCCESS

Are you sure the IP address for the this device is correct? Or are you updating one of you other ESP’s? This happened me before when i used the wrong ip-address in the

wifi:
  use_address: xx.xx.xx.xx

statement…

I’ve only got one ESP device at the moment ! :grinning:

There is a bug, esphome always upload old bin

Ah ok thanks, is this bug documented anywhere like GitHub?

Try a clean build.

@nikito7 Can you provide more information. I personally do not have this experience and if this was generally true, there would be a lot more discussion here or at the ESPHome discord channel on that topic?

OK I think I have resolved the issue.

I was using the code for HA glow directly from github with only a few changes for wifi ssid etc.

The code uses GPIO12 for one of the pins and I noticed that I was getting a warning about strapping pins which I ignored…

Well, I changed from GPIO12 to another pin and now it appears the flash of the ESP32 works correctly :slight_smile:

1 Like