Philips Android TV component

And there is no workarround for this? Because there is an option “Source”.

Maybe something like pressing source and then 4 times down?
Is there a up, down, left, right command?

You can build your own script doing this with key input. The the repository with the component in this thread Source is meant for channel and app only.

Thanks, but that might be out of my programming skills.

Most of the times I try to turn on the TV with component it fails. Like 3 of 4 tries fail.

When I turn it on manually the component connects. I have WoWLAN enabled and I read that it not a 100% reliable.

When it fails I also tried to ping my TV with a failing result. So it looks like that’s not an issue of the component but one of the TV, because it’S offline.

Do you also experience this? I also use the ambilights component and I have a similiar experice here. The Ambilight-Light only works in manual mode for about 5 mins after I turn the TV to standby. After that it will go unavailbale (also no ping).

1 Like

It is the same for me. But it should be possible to make the component more reliable.
The steps to turn on the TV using wake on lan (or WoWLAN) has 2 steps:

1. Send a WOL/WoWLAN packet to the TV. This wakes up the TV API
  2. Send a Power: On command to the TV

To make it more reliable, we would need a function which waits until the API of the TV is online and then sends the command. Currently we send the WOL, and then try a few times to turn it in. This would need to be better.

1 Like

@nstrelow Do you use the ambilight component as well?

Maybe you coudl share you experience with that as well,

See:

Only works when TV is on. The light goes out, when the TV goes to sleep, so the API is not accessible anymore

Everyone should check out the hass.io ADB addon and the custom component made for it.
https://github.com/hassio-addons/addon-adb

This can potentially do much more than just pause and play inside Apps, but show content of the Apps.
I will try it out myself soon.

Keep us updated.

You can use ADB for this: GitHub - eslavnov/android-tv-remote: A simple wrapper around ADB to send commands to Android TVs

UPD: the API itself does not support this AFAIK. Button combos like “source => down => down…” worked terribly for me (constantly selected wrong inputs or you have to add a delay between sending keys, but then it’s SLOW)

Don’t know if this is possible for hassio users like me?

And what does UPD mean?

I tried ADB and it works but not much, you can turn on/off, change volume and see which app is currently running. I haven’t checked if it launch apps. Unfortunately, the player stays in idle mode and doesn’t change to playing mode when app, e.g. Netflix or Youtube, actually playing.

For me it does change.

And this would be one thing, which it is better at as the current component.

It can detect when something is playing or being paused.

It is interesting because it is the only thing I would need except on/off. Which TV model do you have? Did you use the developing androidtv component with some modifications to it?

Since the installation of this component, my tv turns on sometimes without any reason.
for example I wasn’t at home and looked at my home assistant instance and saw that my tv was on.

This also happened one time while we were sleeping.

Does someone else experience this?

HA 0.88 breaking the component.
Error loading custom_components.media_player.philips_2016. Make sure all dependencies are installed

Traceback (most recent call last): File “/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/homeassistant/loader.py”, line 147, in _load_file module = importlib.import_module(path) File “/usr/local/lib/python3.7/importlib/init.py”, line 127, in import_module return _bootstrap._gcd_import(name[level:], package, level) File “<frozen importlib._bootstrap>”, line 1006, in _gcd_import File “<frozen importlib._bootstrap>”, line 983, in _find_and_load File “<frozen importlib._bootstrap>”, line 967, in _find_and_load_unlocked File “<frozen importlib._bootstrap>”, line 677, in _load_unlocked File “<frozen importlib._bootstrap_external>”, line 728, in exec_module File “<frozen importlib._bootstrap>”, line 219, in _call_with_frames_removed File “/config/custom_components/media_player/philips_2016.py”, line 15, in <module> from homeassistant.components.media_player import (SUPPORT_STOP, SUPPORT_PLAY, SUPPORT_NEXT_TRACK, SUPPORT_PAUSE, ImportError: cannot import name ‘SUPPORT_TURN_OFF’ from ‘homeassistant.components.media_player’ (/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/homeassistant/components/media_player/init.py)

This should be the reason.

Unfortunately, Only changing the path to /config/custom_components/philips_2016/media_player.py does not solve the problem.

Did you try that too?

Always make sure you create at least an empty __init__.py file in that folder.

EDIT: Cann confirm that the component is broken in 0.88, even with that emty file added to the folder

Platform not found: media_player.philips_2016

after updating to 0.88 you need to change the imports in .py file at line 15

from homeassistant.components.media_player.const import (SUPPORT_STOP, SUPPORT_PLAY, SUPPORT_NEXT_TRACK, SUPPORT_PAUSE,
                                                   SUPPORT_PREVIOUS_TRACK, SUPPORT_VOLUME_SET, SUPPORT_TURN_OFF, SUPPORT_TURN_ON,
                                                   SUPPORT_VOLUME_MUTE, SUPPORT_VOLUME_STEP, SUPPORT_SELECT_SOURCE)
from homeassistant.components.media_player import (PLATFORM_SCHEMA, MediaPlayerDevice)

SUPPORT_STOP, SUPPORT_PLAY, SUPPORT_NEXT_TRACK, SUPPORT_PAUSE,
_ SUPPORT_PREVIOUS_TRACK, SUPPORT_VOLUME_SET, SUPPORT_TURN_OFF, SUPPORT_TURN_ON,_
_ SUPPORT_VOLUME_MUTE, SUPPORT_VOLUME_STEP, SUPPORT_SELECT_SOURCE_ must be imported from homeassistant.components.media_player.cons and PLATFORM_SCHEMA, MediaPlayerDevice must be imported from homeassistant.components.media_player