PiHass - Ready to use and preconfigured Raspbian based Home Assistant Image

Hi all,
after trying many Home Assistant installation types i can say that Using virtual env uppon Raspbian (or even Ubuntu Server) is the best option i came up with.
Easy to install, very flexsible and more.
so what i basically did is creating a ready to use image with Home Assistant on it so everybody can use.

the image created using Guy Shefer CustomPiOS System wich can be found Here.

the image contains Home Assistant Version 0.72.1 with basic setting of the fallowing Components, sensors and cusrom UI:

1. System Sensors such as CPU Usage, Memory Usage, Installed Version and more
  2. Arp Based Device Tracker (Custom component that is not configured)
  3. fping based device status sensor (my development)
  4. Databse Sensor (Tables size) and optimization Script
  5. Waze Travel Time Sensor (not Configured)
  6. Custom UI (tiles, state card and Hline) tanks to covrig, c727 and andrey-git

The image is back online, you can download is from Google Drive
or Drop Box
later on today iโ€™ll share my configuration.

Database%20infointernet%20speed

Waze%20Travel%20TimeSystem%20Status

4 Likes

That was very thoughtful on your part. Thank you for sharing that with us.

1 Like

โ€œThe โ€œ/ver 1.0/PiHass-1.0โ€ฆer 1.0/PiHass-1.0.7zโ€ file could not be found or is not available. Please select another file.โ€

Hi, sorry for that.
i have found a problem yesterday at late night and had to take it down.
it will be back on later on today.
will update you as soon as i finish the update

would it be possible to share the config files alone?
your customizations look very nice

1 Like

Once this is up and running, is this updatable through a hass image via the website. Or is there to many modifications that it can only be updated here?

+1 here :nerd_face:, Iโ€™m also interested to see this config without installing everything.

me too: i have a quite highly personalized hassbian install and would like to stick with it

Hi,
there is no modifications that i personally made in the code.
i just installed and made some basic configuration.
you can update it like any other updates.

There you go:

1 Like

preconfigured Raspbian based Home Assistant Image

This sounds a lot like hassbian. What is the difference and what advantages does this have over hassbian?

Is there some kind of checksum generated so we can be sure that the image you have linked to has been generated from the code? Downloading a random image from the internet would seem to be a very good way of being infected by malware.

Yeah thanks a lot @Tomer_Klein!

Hi gpbenton,
Basicaly you are correct, itโ€™s prety smiliar to the Hassbian.
i see a lot of Questions about how to install and configure Home Assistant (as i did about a year ago) so i created the image to help people that are in the same stage i was.

as for the image, at the beginning i used the CustomPiOs Generator for creating the image and then i wipde it of and deleted because of an error and because i didnโ€™t want to change the code of the os.
the image that i just publishe is Raspbian Image that i have downloaded from the official website and just installd Home Assistant accourding to this article.
on top of this installation i configured the system with basic and sample Sensors, Custom Ui, Scripts and Groups. all of the configuration files i used for this setup can be found Here .
i will be more the happy to answer any other question you might have.
Hav a good one :slight_smile:

Hassbian is a raspbian image with base HA installed and some scripts to help with other tasks, such as upgrading, installing other packages.

Iโ€™m afraid I donโ€™t see the point in what you are trying to achieve with your image, and you are going to confuse people with yet another installation method.

And if you are going to install HA on raspbian, you should at least use the official installation method to do it

1 Like

A bit OT:
do you share your configuration beside the image? Iโ€™d like to take a look at it

Why not use Hassbian?

i was trying Hassbian but few of my custom components didnโ€™t work as expected (custom component that use linux based command like arp-scan, fping) and even speedtest-cli and this installation type was the only way i could make work.
even running remote ssh command didnโ€™t (and not only for me).

Hey, creator of CustomPiOS here.
Cool to see another distro!
If you have hosting issue, you can always share images on Github. Alternately, I can figure out how to give you hosting on http://unofficialpi.org/Distros/.

Guy

ื’ื™ื ื”ื™ื™,
ื–ื” ืชื•ืžืจ ืงืœื™ื™ืŸโ€ฆ
ื”ืชื›ืชื‘ื ื• ื‘ื ื•ืฉื ืœื ืžืขื˜ (ื•ื•ื˜ืกืืคโ€ฆ).
ื”ืืžืช ืฉื‘ืกื•ืฃ ืœื ื”ืฉืชืžืฉืชื™ ื‘ืžืขืจื›ืช ืฉืœืš (ืกื™ื‘ืš ืœื™ ืงืฆืช ืืช ื”ืขืกืง ื•ืœื ื”ื™ื” ืœื™ ื–ืžืŸ ืœื‘ื“ื•ืง ืœืขื•ืžืง).
ืื•ืœื™ ื‘ื”ื–ื“ืžื ื•ืช ืื—ื–ื•ืจ ืœื–ื” ื•ืื– ืืฉืžื— ืœื”ื™ื•ื•ืขืฅ ื‘ืš.

ืชื•ื“ื”,

1 Like