PlexDevices - Custom Media Player Component

When you post an update, could you put the link in the post? In a post this long, it gets harder and harder to find the link and the link in the OP is 404 now.

Will test at some point tonight.

I will now maintain links to the code and documentation in a single place - in the first post at the top of this page. I have edited previous posts with links to reflect this as well.

Scroll up to the first post for links to the latest Code and Documentation

2 Likes

Sorry, fell asleep in my chair last night!!!

Tested the new method and can confirm that I indeed did get Shwifty! (Was wondering what episode you chose!)

Music is working too but did not test playlist yet. Will do it if you need me to but I’m thinking it should work since everything else did.

1 Like

Guys - I’m basically stuck getting this officially incorporated.
https://github.com/home-assistant/home-assistant/pull/6054#issuecomment-282914840

I’m not familiar with these automated build systems and their results are confusing. Looks like I’m almost there but I need someone experienced to take a look and find out what needs to be done to fix it.

Is it possible to discover plex clients, without a plex server?

I host my plex server in the cloud and my Rasplex clients connect to that.

It looks like you’re pretty close from following the PR - you may want to post for help in the Dev forum or maybe reach out to another dev in the forums that you have seen do a few PRs (majority I’m sure would help but I don’t want to ‘volunteer’ anyone) via PM.

roger that

Hey guys!

What’s the status on this? It looks very promising!

I’m trying to get it to HA coding standards. Theres some traction on it now and it looks like were close to being done. You can see progress and get the latest code here:

3 Likes

congratulations! Can’t wait to see this in the next release!

OK, I admit… Sometimes my computer and programming skills are just not enough… :frowning:
How do I start using it?
I’ve put the plexdevices.py under homeassistant/deps: No luck.

Shall I replace the file or just put it under deps or somewhere else?

In short: help plz…
(and yes, I’ve read the documentation on github)

// Tommy

Congratulations…great work @JesseWebDotCom

You need to put it in custom_componenets/media_player

1 Like

You can also disable the existing Plex component or add an entity_namespace: 'plex' option to it so you don’t get confused as to which is which.

Code has been approved and should be in the next release!!! Some features I had to pull (i.e. Defer for another time) to get this released:

• dynamic groups
  • positioning (i.e. Progress bar)
  • frozen state detection

But all the other features are still in. That was way more work than I anticipated but I’m learning so that’s good.

7 Likes

If you don’t want to wait for the next release and want to start using it now:

1. Copy this file to your ha/custom_components/media_player folder: https://github.com/home-assistant/home-assistant/blob/dev/homeassistant/components/media_player/plex.py
  2. Follow these new media_player.plex instructions: https://github.com/JesseWebDotCom/home-assistant.github.io/blob/b1a671c1a0b6c74a5ab01d43022668e1ec2b6dbb/source/_components/media_player.plex.markdown
2 Likes

Nice!!
One question that pops up is about the “shut down” button down to the left.
Can I use that to stop streams to external users, i.e. users that I share my library to?
(This is a very requested feature in the Plex community, it would be nice to show them how it would look :smiley: )

// T

AFAIK no as that’s not supported in the plex protocol

Well, it figures now that this is actually going to be part of HA I am probably going to be moving to Kodi.

I’m doing some initial testing on the Shield but if it works, I will be migrating over. I just feel like Plex isn’t about to address the metadata issue and the lack of space on the internal memory of my 16gb Shield is effecting performance and stability.

I hope I was of some help in the testing and if Plex ever gets their shit together I’ll come back.

Are you using your shield as a Plex server?