Polyaire Air Touch 2 or 3

Hi everyone,

I’m getting a new air con system installed.
Has anyone every connected hass to a Polyaire Air Touch 2 or 3?
I’m happy with a http or command line work around.

Polyaire seems to be an Australian brand.
That probably means no one is going to take the time to integrate it with hass as there won’t be many people using it.

So far, this is all I’ve found on them.

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2635886

Has anyone investigated further?

Did you find any information on integrating this system?

Hello, I’m still working on this one.

I rang polyaire and so far they’ve been pretty helpful.

They have a tcp port open which they aren’t willing to release information about to the public. I believe it was port 8899 or something. I can connect to it like any other com port and it spits out information every now and then. However, I don’t know how to control the aircon from this.

The polyaire also comes with a 2 wire rs485 port on the controller which can be connected to using mod bus. Polyaire have given me access to the mod bus commands but I’m not sure how to use it yet. I’m hoping to use the mod bus sensor and switch that home assistant already has using these commands.

I have contacted polyaire about how to wire this up. I have a USB to rs485 converter but I’m not sure where to connect up ground if I need to connect it up at all. I have heard that rs485 should really have a common ground between components. I asked polyaire about this and they have said they’d get back to me.

If polyaire allows it, I hope to setup something and be able to share it on this post. I’ve noticed that this is new territory for home assistant and I’m hoping to give back. However, I believe only Australians will benefit from this.

Hi lilhater, how are you going on Polyaire?

I am getting a Polyaire Air Touch 2 installed and am very interested in getting it integrated to HA. Are you able to share the modbus info that Polyaire provided?

Sorry for the late reply Jumble.

The last question I asked polyaire was where the ground goes for a rs485 connection.
They never got back to me about that yet.

Do you know if the ground is important in this connection? I’ve heard that not using ground can burn out the interface…

I have done a lot of work with RS485 and the purpose and use of ground is questionable. RS 485 is a balanced signal and the A and B voltages are relative to each other and not ground. My understanding is the ground should only be connected at one end and used as a shield for the cable, assuming the cable has a shield. There is no risk of burning out the interface of a device if you do not connect the ground.

I currently have an RS485 USB stick connected to my Synology NAS running HA. The RS485 connects to a Modbus power meter. Both the USB stick and power meter only have two wire connections, A and B, and no ground. This works without any issues.

You should use twisted pair cable for RS485, CAT 5 or CAT 6 is OK. Use one of the twisted pairs in the cable for the A and B signals. For a longer cable runs you should consider connecting a 120 ohm resistor at each end of the cable. In a home installation where the cable run is short (under 10m) this should not be required.

Hope this helps.

Thank you for your reply jumble. This has given me the confidence to give it a go.
I’ll wire it all up and let you know what I find.

I believe the run will be around 5m so I don’t think I need to put in the 120ohm resistors.
If I did, would they go on both A and B at each end of the cable? (4 resistors?)
I do have resistors plenty of resistors so I could use them…

Hi Lilhater, At 5m you shouldn’t need resistors. If required a resistor would go between A and B at each end of the cable, 2 resistors required.

Any further progress with this?

Hi Yuddy, I never ended up trying it. Polyaire never responded but I think I have enough to get started.

Do you have any experience with rs485?

Zero, but I’d be keen to explore. I may just save the trouble and get an ecobee4

Hi,

I’m getting a new house built ATM and will have a Daikin Ducted Aircon unit with a Polyaire Airtouch2.

I’m keen to do anything I can to help support getting a basic solution in place. For me, I’m looking for an IFTTT based solution… Like Lilhater a http or command line solution would be more than fine.

I was wondering that has a Polyaire setup has tried using a tool like wireshark to listen to the network traffic? Identifying the commands should be 80% of the challenge solved.

Hi
I have just had the airtouch3 Installed. I would love to integrate it into home assistant.
I have been able to capture packets from the app using wireshark but I don’t really know how to decipher what is goi on. Let me know if you would like to take a look.
Strangely, it appears to be connecting to airtouch.com.au every few seconds. I’m not sure why that would be necessary.
It also has google assistant integtation now, I’m not sure if it is possible to use that from home assistant.
I’m willing to do a bit of work on this if anyone can point me in the right direction

1 Like

Any update on this? I’m looking to buy an AirTouch 3 and was hoping to have it show up in Home Assistant so that I can expose it to HomeKit. I believe the AirTouch 3 system integrates with Google Assistant, will the cloud component allow things from Google Assistant to show in Home Assistant or does it only work the other way? Apologies if this is a stupid question, I’m new to Home Assistant.

Hi all!
Sorry for the late reply, I’m horrible with this stuff.

I haven’t progressed on this at all.
I’ve left it as one of the last things I’m going to fix up in my home automation project… And I think it’s coming up as my next big project with this summer.
To be honest, I’ve been scared of burning out my rs485 connection using a cheap usb dongle. Because of this, I was hoping we could do what @ScottyMac said and wireshark the connection. I’ve just assumed the encryption is going to be annoying so haven’t even started!

I didn’t know there was google assistant integration now.
That’s really cool! There was always an iOS and android app which I have used.

Quick google:
https://www.airtouch.net.au/airtouch/google-home-air-conditioning-control/

Anyone else hacked this yet?

hey guys i to have recently built a new home and have an air touch3 i am looking to write a module to communicate with it over rs 485 i would then look at creating an interface using an arduino so i can talk to it via http well http to the interface then modbus to the 485 port.
interested to know how you guys have gone so far. i have the modbus register list from polyaire and some examples now its time to play :slight_smile:

That sounds great Bunny. Let us know how you go.

hey guys making some headway i have a hub configured to read and write registers and i’m now creating the various switches and logic blocks.
this will be for the air touch 3 as the air touch 2 has no external connection. I am also waiting on the documents for the air touch 4 that is due to be released at the end of January i would like to include this as well it should be wireless network connected.

1 Like

Hey Mate,

I’m sure Airtouch 2 has a rs485 port for the gateways?

Yuddy,
this is true but it does not have the modbus interface for client communication like the airtouch 3 does so you can not remotely change zone settings. the airtouch 4 is due for release i believe this may support modbus oyer the wifi. Pitty they didnt add a network port for hard conect