Problems with google home / nest hub / stream component with router change

Hi there!

I am using a Home Assistant instance, running in 0.100.3 version in a python virtual env.

I have changed my main router (ISP ONT+Router) to a Asus AC68U + separate ONT, currently everything is working as intended

I have the manual google assistant integration configured, exposing several lights, and they are working

My external access is configured with duckdns and letsencrypt, the asus router automatically enables nat loopback, so I am able to access to https://home.mydomain.duckdns.org:8123 from outside and inside of my network, without certificate problems.

The problem is now with the nest hub and the google home minis. When I try to use tts in any of the google devices, the “bling” sounds, but nothing is said, I have tryied from the frontend and from an automation an it does not work, a chromecast icon is displayed in the hub, the status changes to idle, but nothing sounds. There are no logs at all about something happened.

Also, when I try to cast a camera exposed to google home (with the stream component properly setted up), the “bling” also sounds, but only a “Smart home Camera” string is displayed, and there is no video at all. This has been tested in a nest hub and a MIBOX3, and the problem is the same

Previously, with my ISP router, everything works, so this should be something related to a network configuration, but I can’t find anything regarding needed configurations or ports mandatories to make this work.

this is my camera configuration (custom firmware dafang), it works in the frontend with the stream enabled, and the stream worked before the router change. Currently the RTSP is working in VLC too.

camera:
  - platform: generic
    name: dafang camera
    still_image_url: https://192.168.1.140/cgi-bin/currentpic.cgi
    stream_source: rtsp://192.168.1.140:8554/unicast
    verify_ssl: false
    username: root
    password:  *****
    authentication: basic

I don’t have any configuration for the nest hub / google homes, they are automatically discovered by HA and they appear as media_players in my entities

More info: the casting from another sources works properly, also the home assistant cast is working properly, so it smells like some kind of internal configuration in the network is not working, because the only issue is from local network to local network.

Can someone show me some light, or maybe some ideas about how to trace this problem?

Regards!

Nobody knows what can be happening? :frowning:

Did you figure out? I also have asud router… Stream configured in Lovelace works fine… But on smart hub, just that black screen with text… No video…

Also asus router here… Maybe need some ports open?

No sorry, I still have the problem. If you find a way to get some logs or something we can try to find the cause, because Im out of ideas

ok, well i have my max hub since 2 days, so still testing with it :slight_smile:

i am using nabucasa with google assistant, all my lights/switches are working fine with nabucasa link, been using that already for a year
my baseurl is also configured with nabucasa url
configured now stream: for first time, since i have the hub
so i exposed cameras to google assistant, when i open then,i have indeed “Smart home Camera” text with black screen

when i use the stream service to play the camera on my chromecast it works, but with a huge lag though, actually unplayable

when i open the live stream from lovelace, it works perfect, no lag there

And what about TTS? It works for you?

Yes, tts works

normally for tts/chromecast/google relared stuff, the base_url needs to be configured correctly

1 Like

Wow! That was my issue! I didn’t have the port set in the base_url. Now it works like a charm!

I still have the issue with my cameras though :frowning:
What cameras do you have? Can you post config?

Nm, they are in post 1 :wink:

The only difference is the authentication, I have username and password in the stream url itself, you have it separately… Gonna test that too

Good luck, I have the configuration of the first post. nothing more

Fixed now :wink:

thanks had the same issue and that fixed

Hey, i am facing the same problem. I have two cameras ( Besder and Sdeter > chinese cameras) and they are integrated with HA like this:
camera:

• platform: ffmpeg
    input: rtsp://192.168.x.xxx:port/user=admin_password=xxxxxxxx_channel=1_stream=0.sdp?real_stream
    name: Camera garagem

when i open the live stream on lovelace, both cameras play well, but when i use the service to play the camera on chormecast devices, both give me a hugeee lag and also stop working the cast. I have no idea how to fix. Have you fixed this problem?

Nope, still got lag, I dropped stream component, and exposed my cameras as template switch… So I cast the video to it…
So I can say like… Turn camera xx on/off on my Google hub

but using this way do you get lag?

yes , with stream: enabled, i have lag
when i cast (local) no lag

A lot of us are having same buffering/lag problems casting RTSP stream from HA to google cast devices. Haven’t found working solution.

yeah, i see. I’m still trying to find a solution but nothing yet.