Problems with samba add on

Hi all - I’m a new user and I’ve been stuck for about three hours trying to get samba add on to work. All I keep getting is ‘There was a problem connecting to the server “homeassistant”. The server may not exist or it is unavailable at this time. Check the server name or IP address, check your network connection and then try again’.

I haven’t got a clue, all the videos I watch it just seems to work and the user and password interface pop up, I cant even get that.

Thanks in advance for any help given.

delete the addon…reboot…install the addon again…in the configuration add a username and a password…no '…just username: joe.

start the integration.

From your windows system…map a network drive

\\192.168.1.xx\config  (put the correct ip of your ha computer )

when challenged, I think you may have to select enter another user or something like that…,use the username and pw you entered in HA.

It should work.

3 Likes

Did you get it working?

If not, maybe post a brief list of all the steps you did. Maybe you missed something, like clicking “start” on the add-on screen. I’ve done that.

Also, it should be possible to look in the logs on HA and see if there are any errors. Sometimes half the battle is knowing which log to check, and remembering where you need to go in HA to view that one. I usually flail around aimlessly until I stumble on it.

1 Like

no didn’t get it working :frowning:

I’m on a mac, I think its a networking issue rather than HA because whatever I do it just doesn’t connect to the server.

steps I followed were to:

• uninstall
  • reboot HA using SSH
  • reinstall
  • edit configs w pass and user
  • start
  • try and access from network on mac, get this error, 'There was a problem connecting to the server “homeassistant”. The server may not exist or it is unavailable at this time. Check the server name or IP address, check your network connection and then try again’.
  • throw my laptop across the room in frustration

Thanks for taking the time

That’s a critical step whenever diagnosing a problem like this. At least for me.

I’m not a Mac guy, so can’t help there. It would be nice if you could try from a different machine. I can connect to my HA SMB share from my cell phone (also not an Apple product) using various apps. One I use a lot is called X-Plore, but there are others. Any file management app which allows SMB shares should work. At least with that you’d know whether the problem was on the Mac or HA end.

I believe that the error message you’re receiving is the error the happens when Samba denies the connection from your Mac. The most likely issue is that you need to add the IP address of your Mac to the allowed list in the Supervisor > Add-ons > Samba add-on configuration (Configuration tab, once you’ve clicked on the add-on). For example, here are the IP addresses of my allowed machines:

allow_hosts:

If you have that configured already, then the next step is to click on the Samba add-on’s Log tab, and click the Refresh button at the bottom immediately after you’ve tried and failed to connect from your Mac. (Refresh is at the bottom of the page.)

If you’re seeing errors there, and they start with “Denied connection from …”, this is the issue.

If you’re seeing different errors there, please copy/paste them into an update here.

Thanks for the help, I haven’t got a clue what it was. It works now! Hurrah.

for people this didnt work for: you can adding sambas homeassistant hostname to your host file. eg 192.168.254.40 HOMEASSISTANT
just add that to host file and change the ip to your home assistant ip, then delete credentials and try again to connect to HOMEASSISTANT

what do you mean “delete credentials”, from HA or from MAC? and how ?

thanks

Worked! Thanks m8!