Qubino Flush Pilot doesn't work anymore with ZWave-JS

Hi all,

I don’t know really when this occurred but my Qubino entities (model ZMNHJD) didn’t work anymore, and that’s no more the same entities than before (when it’s working).
I’m using ZWave-JS (intégration and addon).
Here’s the device in my HA :

The switch work fine, I can turn on/off my device. But each light doesn’t work at all. I’ll try it to turn on with the brightness attribute as before but there’s no change to my heaters.
I uninstalled the addon and the integration, restart HA server, but it seems to be a bug with new zwave-js and this Qubino.
Does anyone encountered this problem ?

1 Like

I switched back to OpenZWave and all my devices are reported with their entities.

Am I the only using this device and Zwave Js ?

I’d be interested in that as well. I have a lot of those devices on heaters all over the house. I am still on the old OZW 1.4 integration and they work as expected. I was planning to switch to ZWaveJS in the near future. If these don’t work, then this would be an issue.

Some questions if you don’t mind, as these were not entirely clear. You say that they suddenly stopped working. Was that right when you migrated to ZWaveJS or did they work with ZWaveJS for a while and then stopped ? You also say that the on/off switch works, but you can’t set the heater mode with the usual brightness attribute. Can you access the brightness over the UI, ie. are they recognized as dimmers in the frontend ? It sounds like they might be recognized as simple switches instead.

Hi,

When I first moved from OZW to ZWaveJS 2 month ago, all worked fine. It’s from few weeks that’s warning appeared in the log and reported that some entities missing in my integrations.
The screen I posted in my 1st post show all the entities about the devices, so 1 switch and 3 lights dimmable. I can turn on/off the device with the switch, but I’m unable to use the lights entities, none of them work (tested with the service light.turn_on and the brightness attribute).

I reverted to OZW and all is working fine again !

I posted my message in this forum because it is what is said in the github zwavejs before open an issue.

I see. It sounds like a regression in ZWaveJS due to an update. It’s probably best to open an issue on the github.

This device is probably very little used here on the forums. It’s a device that is very specific to the pilot wire protocol, which is a very Frenchy thing :slight_smile: It would be interesting to know if the other Qubino dimmers, the real ones for dimming lights, also exhibit this problem.

Hello,
I have also 8 dimmers Qubino ZMNHJD1. They are recognized but also with a switch et 2 lights.

Unfortunately, none of the entities drive the radiator correctly. The switch does not turn the heater ON or OFF (this could be enought for me).
Given the importance of the heaters in my system, it is not possible to use ZWave JS and I will either have to switch to Open ZWave or find a solution outside of home assistant.

If somebody know if it is possible to send a issue for the support of such devices…

Heaters with “pilot wire” are very popular in Europ, and probably not in US. And ZMNHJD1 is not a referenced product in the ZWave Aliance and Qubino corporate site. So I am not very optimistic.

Please also check if you can open an issue or add to an existing issue on the ZWaveJS Github.

It’s probably not a big thing, most likely just an incorrect device classification. The ZMNHJD is a strange device. It’s a heating controller that presents itself as a dimmer. So this might confuse ZWave JS. Maybe also get in touch with Qubino about this, they are very open to customer feedback. In fact, they specifically created this device after a long community discussion.

I have several of the Qubino Flush Pilot Dimmers but I am still on the original Zwave Integration (pre OZW) and waiting for new Zwave-JS Integration to stabilise before switching.

My Qubino modules have been working great and I have recently created a Lovelace card based on the “Simple Thermostat” custom card and the “Qubino Pilot Wire” custom integration:

My understanding is that to control the heater/s you do not need to toggle any switches, you just just set the brightness level and the module takes care of everything else. I don’t use the optional temperature or button inputs to the modules.

Some news : I think I used the ZWaveJS2MQTT addon.
I did a new try with the ZWaveJS addon. Now all work fine, I’m finding 3 entites (1 switch , 1 light and 1 climat) and the dimmer for the light did the job to change the mode (eco, freeze, etc).

Interesting ! When you say you used the ZWaveJS2MQTT addon, were you actually using the MQTT part of it or was MQTT disabled ? I don’t use HA with the Supervisor myself, so I don’t know how all this addon stuff works, but it sounds like a real mess.

Good to know it works though. Which also shows that the problem was not in ZWaveJS itself. I should probably attempt a migration to ZWaveJS myself asap, as a test. These fil pilote modules are super important in my setup.

Not at all, mqtt was disabled. I used this addon for the UI console for my zwave devices.

Hello,
Thank you for your reply.
The ZwaveJS addon just changed and the dimmer is not anymore defined as a light with brightness but only as 2 switches. So the integration of piitaya could not work anymore with this new version.

I still have issue with the dimmer and new ZwaveJS. The 2 switches don’t work correctly.

Well I have deleted and created again the device and it works now, with the last version of zwaveJS. Just mind to use the brightness of the light to set the heater mode.

More news …

In my previous post, all worked fine with ZWaveJS addon, but i stubborn and I tried again ZWaveJS2MQTT.

So I uninstalled ZWaveJS integration and addon, restarted the Core and installed ZWaveJS2MQTT addon and ZWaveJS integration. That’s works but … only 3 heater devices of 5 are working fine. 2 of them are reported but the light entitty doesn’t report the current brightness and the temperature sensor was missing !

What’s wrong with ZWaveJS ? is that the device ?

Hi,

Do you have any update on this … how is ZwaveJS2MQTT working now?

Thanks!

I finally migrated to zwavejs2mqtt from the legacy OZW and all my Qubino Fil Pilote modules are working fine.

Versions:
zwavejs2mqtt: 5.4.6.b1f89bf
zwave-js: 8.1.1

I’m not using any HA integration though, zwavejs2mqtt manages the entire zwave network. I removed everything zwave related from HA and only use manually configured MQTT to connect HA to zwave now. I found this to be a lot more stable and it avoids problems with breaking changes in HA’s zwave integrations in the future.

1 Like

I can confirm that the Qubino Pilot Wire module also works with the zwavejs add-on (as opposed to the zwavejs2mqtt add-on). My current versions are:

zwavejs add-on: 0.1.35
zwavejs integration: 8.0.8

I removed the additional entities that I did not need like the external temperature and buttons.

Hi Alex,
How did you finally create commands for the differents levels of the module ? What kind of topics ? I tried with this syntax zwave/Chambre_Parents/Chauffage/38/0/targetValue{value} with the value between 0 to 50, but didn’t seem to activate…
Also, did you use the additionnal temperature sensor with it ?

The Qubino presents itself as a dimmer to the zwave controller and interprets the various levels as commands for the heater, as detailed in the little booklet that came with it. So I first defined an MQTT dimmer:

light:
  - platform: mqtt
    unique_id: qubino_chambre_etage
    name: qubino_chambre_etage
    command_topic: "zwave/nodeID_22/38/0/targetValue/set"
    state_topic: "zwave/nodeID_22/38/0/currentValue"
    state_value_template: "{{ 0 if (value | int) == 0 else 99 }}"
    payload_on: 99
    payload_off: 0
    brightness_scale: 99
    brightness_state_topic: "zwave/nodeID_22/38/0/currentValue"
    brightness_command_topic: "zwave/nodeID_22/38/0/targetValue/set"
    brightness_value_template: "{{ value | int }}"
    on_command_type: brightness
    optimistic: false

Replace the nodeID_22 part with however you called the Qubino in the zwavejs2mqtt panel, so that the topic gets routed to the right device. That yaml will create a new light entity light.qubino_chambre_etage, you can change its ‘intensity’ from Lovelace to the control levels, just to check if the device works. Later on this entity will stay invisible.

Some heaters will take a few seconds to follow the commands, so be patient once you send a command. It’s not always instant. My (expensive) Sauter heaters are pretty much instant after a command is sent, some cheapo noname thing I bought from Bricodépot the other day takes almost a minute to execute a command. Firmware fail.

Next, I created an input select with the appropriate heater commands:

input_select:
  qubino5:
    name: Chauffage Chambre Étage
    options:
     - Confort
     - Confort - 1
     - Confort - 2
     - Eco
     - Hors gel
     - Arret

That also works over the UI now I think, but I did it in the yaml.

And finally you have to link the input select to the dimmer level with an automation, so that the Qubino level changes automatically to the right level whenever you change the input select option. I’m using pyscript, so you might have to adapt this to whatever you use as automation tool (inline Jinja / NodeRed / etc):

# Qubino percentage to Fil pilote order mapping

levels = { 'Arret' : 1, 'Hors gel' : 15, 'Eco' : 25, 'Confort - 2' : 35, 'Confort - 1' : 45, 'Confort' : 100 }

# Chauffage chambre étage

@state_trigger("input_select.qubino5")
def qubino5():
    task.unique("qubino5")
    t = input_select.qubino5
    p = levels[t] if (t in levels ) else 25
    light.turn_on(entity_id = "light.qubino_chambre_etage", brightness_pct = p)
    #log.info("ch set to {}".format(p))

And I did not use the additional temp sensor, just the control commands.

1 Like

Thanks, it works now :slight_smile: except the temp sensor… it seems not known on the z-wave side.

The 2 Qubino don’t have the temp sensor. They have the topic /49 ‘air_temperature’ = -999
But the “unknown product” is also a qubino zmnhjd1 with the temp sensor, and this doesn’t work. Only the temp sensor doesn’t work, I can switch on and off, and set any level.