Raspberry Pi 3B+: trouble with external SSD

Hello,

I have seen quite few posts on the same topic, but ultimately it seems that “my case” is a bit different…

Below my configuration:

Initial Configuration: R Pi + SD Card + Extension cable + Zigbee → this was working perfectly fine

I then decided to replace the SD Card with a more reliable SSD drive and here the issues started to raise… SO far I have tried:

• booted from SSD connected directly to the R Pi (no external powered hub and no ZigBee antenna): in this scenario 8 out of 10 times it starts ok… don’t know why, sometimes it doesn’t. (also not all USB will allow the boot…)
    no LAN cable connected – just trying the boot

• booted from SSD connected to powered USB hub (no ZigBee antenna): in this scenario 6 out of 10 times it starts ok… don’t know why, sometimes it doesn’t. (also not all USB will allow the boot…)
    no LAN cable connected – just trying the boot

• Repeated two scenarios above with LAN connected and the error comes out (the one in the picture below)… it seems that the LAN is not recognized and for whatever reason, HAOS does not start…

• tried to reboot with SD card, and no problem at all

I have posted this issue in reddit as well and a user suggested that there might be a power issue on the start up the ethernet controller, hence the issue during start up while LAN is connected.

also they suggested that my SATA controller my cause the problem and they suggested to use this one: SSD to USB 3.0 Cable for Raspberry Pi– The Pi Hut

I was also reading here in the forum (apologies, I could not find anymore the link) a post where a user was suggestion to leave the OS in the SD card and all the data in SSD…

in summary, what you you guys think/suggest?

• ordering the new SATA USB controller?
  • splitting OS and data?
  • disabling Wi-Fi and BT (because I do not use then in order to save some “power”?
  • anything else?

the reason why I am trying to fir it on Pi 3B+ and not just update to Pi 4B is because this is for my parents (I update my configuration for pi 4B), hence I do not need extra power, but just reliability

looking forward to hearing back from you

Thank you

1 Like

Hi there, facing the exact same issue. Home assistant on raspberry pi 3B+ on a SSD sometimes boots up correctly sometimes not. Also it happens that home assistant is not reachable for long periods of time. Any solutions?

I managed to fix the problem with two pieces of HW:

works perfectly now!