Rebuilding Hass.IO VMDK image to add host device support not working

I’ve been using Hass.IO on a Raspberry Pi and it worked great with the docker install (running alongside other services). However CPU and memory resources were a bit scarce, so I’ve started to repurpose an Intel NUC6i5. I installed Ubuntu 18.04 and used VirtualBox and the VMDK image to start Hass.IO. This worked okay, except that I can not get the NUC’s Bluetooth (8087:0a2b, Intel 8265?) to work in the virtual machine (and neither a BT USB stick I had lying around). I guess the btintel kernel module is not part of the image?

So I thought about rebuilding the VMDK image myself with added kernel driver for the Intel module (updating the ova/kernel.config with CONFIG_BT_INTEL=y). Following https://github.com/home-assistant/hassos/blob/dev/Documentation/build.md I get a new image that successfully boots HassOS, however it does not start Hass.IO.

When I try to login as root on the terminal, I get ‘docker: Error response from daemon: exec “docker-init”: executable not found in $PATH’. This happens both with the current head of the dev-branch, as well as the 2.4 tag.

With 1.13 I get a working HassIO, but again without Bluetooth support. I am not sure if I did something wrong in my setup or whether I missed some step? Is this even a sensible way to go / is there some other way to get the VMDK image in VirtualBox 6 to be able to make use of the NUC’s bluetooth module?

TIA!!

Why wouldn’t you just run hassio directly on docker? Why mess with virtualbox at all?

That’s a good question. I had the docker setup running on the Raspberry Pi (as I wanted to run other services on it as well, I couldn’t use the image). For the NUC I wanted to try the virtualbox approach to get better control / grasp of the system. At least for now I have better control this way - rebooting the system to get the config reloaded, making snapshots of the full system to be able to go back in case of problematic upgrades, etc. I don’t know whether it has any actual advantages … well, apparently not, as the docker approach worked fine on the Raspberry Pi and the VMDK image not so much on the NUC :slight_smile: But out of curiosity let’s not shut this down from the start, it may be interesting for future users, too.

P.S.: So running the docker image is not really working that well either. I have set up mitemp_bt sensors but whereas they updated every 5 minutes quite fine on the Raspberry Pi (in docker), they only get about one successful update every 30-60 minutes on my NUC (in docker).