Renovating a whole apartment - how to obtain smart switches + flux/ circadian experience?

hi all :slight_smile:
i have been renting an apartment since some years and played a little bit with Home assistant and some bulbs/ air conditioner, always with the fear of wasting money on a home that isn’t mine… but now i have the great chance to renovate an apartment and to really make it mine!

i have been thinking about how to do it, and one of the sub-projects is to have lighting in the house that:

• can be turned on or off either from wall switch or from home assistant
  • can be dimmed/ temperature controlled from Flux/ circadian lighning component --> i only care about cold/ worm white, no need for rgb
  • can be toggled between “full light mode” and “circadian light mode” via switch (ideally from the same phisical switch but from another command such as long press/ double click)

one possible solution i came up with would be to use a number of shelly RGBW2 controllers, however i’m afraid that having too many wifi components in my home could be a problem, so i wanted to know if you had any other idea such as a wired/ zigbee solution.

do you have experience with such solutions/ what would you suggest?

thanks a lot!
Nicola

Your requirements won’t all be satisfiable through and through

• can be toggled either from wall switch or from home assistant
  • can be dimmed/ temperature controlled both from Flux/ circadian lighning component or from the switch → i only care about cold/ worm white, no need for rgb

As far as I’m aware, no switches will be able to do both on/off/dimming AND color temperature. For this to work, you’ll need smart switches AND smart lights. The closest you can probably get would be with Inovelli Zwave smart switches that have a “smart light” mode. You’ll be able to control the on/off/dim from the wall that way, but you’ll need smart bulbs with any other integration type that allows the circadian control

hmm let me see if easier requests work, edited the main topic.
i don’t really need the switch to do much control over brightness/ temperature, i just need to be able to toggle between “circadian/ dimmed” and “full light” mode.
is it doable this way?

If you still want wall switches to be able to toggle on/off, you need a switch that’s smart-light capable, eg the Inovelli switches mentioned. If you’re never going to touch your light switches and leave them on 100% of the time and only control lights through home-assistant, then any dumb switch will be fine with smart lights.

Hi!
This is tagged “knx” for some reason. You can surely find knx switches that satisfy your requirements, but changing from conventional to knx (or most other bus systems) requires a lot of rewiring. If you renew the whole electricity anyway, I’d highly recommend KNX - not just for lights. (At least if you live in Europe - I don’t know of the availability in other continents)