Replace HA Core

Hello together,

i have installed the Home assistant core version on my PI. Unfortunately, I only noticed afterwards that I cannot install any add-ons such as Node Red. I then downloaded the supervised version and tried to start it. However, the core version is still active without hass.io.
Is it possible to replace or delete the core version? Or is it possible to install hass.io into the Core version afterwards?
I don’t want to delete the SD card because other programmes are active.
I am quite a beginner and am not getting anywhere here.
Does anyone have a tip on how I can do this?

Many Greetings
Hotte

1. My plan would be do a full snapshot put some where safe
    format SD card start again

2. buy a new SD and start again

that be a easyer way

Snapshots only work on HA OS and HA Supervised, on HA Container or HA Core there are no snapshots.

If you mean HA OS by saying hassio, no it is not possible (the name hassio has been abandoned a long time ago)
You could try a supervised install, that gives you add-ons. Copy your /config directory (including the hidden files/directories !), delete your venv directory, install supervised and copy your /config directory over.

There is no /config directory on HA core. The config is (usually) in /home/HA_USER/.homeassistant, where HA_USER is the user under which HA runs on.

Ok, the directory where your configuration.yaml exists. In HA Supervised it is /usr/share/hassio/homeassistant, in HA OS it is on a separate partition, in HA Container it can be anywhere, as long as you map it correct when installing in docker.

What OS is your Pi running? If you’ve had a bunch of other stuff going on it and you’re trying to now add HA to the mix there’s a high probability you’re not running a supported OS for a supervised install. Raspberry Pi OS for example is not a supported OS for a supervised install, only Debian Linux Debian 10 aka Buster (no derivatives).

I would definitely not recommend doing a supervised install on an unsupported OS, especially if you are new to HA. You will get warnings about your system being unsupported, you will very likely run into issues because of it and you essentially won’t get any support from the dev team (github issues auto-closed/ignored, etc.) The community is very helpful but you’ll essentially be hoping someone ran into your exact issue in your unsupported OS, a chance which is likely dwindling with the current number of supervised installs.

If you are running the right OS, great! Just stop your core install, update your system so it doesn’t start that on boot and copy everything in your config folder into the config folder in the new container the supervised script set up. Or just the YAML files if you haven’t really done much yet and don’t want to mess with .storage (which is fair, its ugly in there).

If you aren’t running the right OS then there’s no shortcut here. You are going to have to reinstall your system with a supported OS (Debian or HA OS) or you’ll have use an alternate approach (either install HAOS as a virtual machine if you want add-ons/supervisor or use core/container if you don’t).

My Raspyberry is running Debian Buster. I will try to stop the current system and install the new files. Otherwise I’ll just flatten it and set it up again. Thanks for the help!

1 Like

You can always just delete the virtual environment that was created when you installed HA Core on the Pi.

Deactivate the venv first, then delete the venv files and remove the venv start up service.