Ring Alarm - MQTT Discovery Alarm integration

I created an hassio addon for @tsighler’s code - Put the details in that thread.

Just going to round this out, I’m not going to do any further development on my script as I don’t have a clear path forward on getting the backend to start working again. As such, folks should discontinue use of mine and migrate to @tsightler’s version.

Hi rajansub,
I just stumbled upon this thread and I now have a ring alarm. Does your comment means that I should this this addon on the hass.io repo? I do not see it.

Thanks

You wont find it on the hassio addon store as I have not submitted it there. To use it you should goto your add on store in your hassio instance and in the repositories section insert the URL and click the add button. At that stage you should see this addon appear in the list in a separate category by itself. You should then be able to install it like any other addon

Thank you all for working hard making it.
I’m a bit lost - I run home assistant from bass.io on rpi.

I added the add on through the add on store. In the log it seems to be fine. I even see an update in the log on every state change of a sensor.

From here, how do I use the updates? Hass.io doesn’t see the sensors.

I’m trying to do it also through node-red but not sure how.

Thank you!!

1 Like

Hi all, just as a final note on this thread, I just dropped @tsightler’s script onto my hassbian instance and it fired right up. I’m archiving my repos and moving to other stuff so do make sure you switch over to his work going forward.

@rajansub I’ve been having problems using Node Red to call the disarm service. The second it gets called, the alarm becomes disconnected. Have you had this problem at all?

I’ve been using your hassio plugin on my RPi, but I’m in the process of migrating to a vmware install of hassio. When I add the URL into the repository, it doesn’t give me an option to install. Will this only run on RPi arch?

It should work virtualized. That is how I have it, not on RPi.
R u using the right link, its https://github.com/rs1932/ring-alarm-hassio-addon

Ah! That was it…I was using the old version. Thanks again!

I installed the updated plugin, put in credentials and pointed it to my local MQTT server, but nothing appears to be happening. When I refresh the logs it just shows:

Ring Alarm Integration
Node Version
v10.14.2
NPM Version
git version 2.20.1
added 121 packages from 86 contributors and audited 406 packages in 3.073s
found 0 vulnerabilities

The MQTT logs also don’t show any type of login. Here’s what my configs look like:

Mosquito MQTT:
{
“logins”: [],
“anonymous”: true,
“customize”: {
“active”: false,
“folder”: “mosquitto”
},
“certfile”: “fullchain.pem”,
“keyfile”: “privkey.pem”
}

Ring config:
{
“host”: “localhost”,
“port”: 1883,
“ring_topic”: “ring”,
“hass_topic”: “hass/status”,
“mqtt_user”: “”,
“mqtt_pass”: “”,
“ring_user”: “[email protected]”,
“ring_pass”: “myringpassword”
}

Is there something else I’m missing? I appreciate the help.

I don’t know if anonymous MQTT authentication works. I have authentication configured and it works great. Try configuring authentication.

Update to your usernames, passwords and IP address.

Mosquito MQTT:

{
  "logins": [
    {
      "username": "MQTTusername",
      "password": "MQTTpassword"
    }
  ],
  "anonymous": false,
  "customize": {
    "active": false,
    "folder": "mosquitto"
  },
  "certfile": "fullchain.pem",
  "keyfile": "privkey.pem"
}

Ring:

{
  "host": "192.168.1.1",
  "port": 1883,
  "ring_topic": "ring",
  "hass_topic": "hass/status",
  "mqtt_user": "MQTTusername",
  "mqtt_pass": "MQTTpassword",
  "ring_user": "[email protected]",
  "ring_pass": "RINGpassword"
}

Thanks for the tip…I tried every possible combination with MQTT and the ring integration. Currently, I am only able to get it running on my Pi pointing to my VMware instance of HA running MQTT. There must be an issue with this add-on and the vmware image. Here’s the MQTT error I get when I try running it on my vmware hassio instance:

1555986906: Socket error on client mqttjs_babb8dfa, disconnecting.

It’s running with the exact same config, etc. However, it runs just fine on the Pi arch.

Hi so I have all of this setup in Hassio. It appears thought that I can unlock/lock doors? Also with the Alaram you can only arm it if all contact sensors are closed? If I try to arm with a window open the ring hub just repeats over and over that sensors require bypass. Am I missing something here? I’d love to get all of this working!

That is by design. You cannot arm the alarm if there is a sensor that is broken and set to be armed in the mode you set the alarm (home or away). If you want to leave a window open when you arm the alarm, you either need to disable the contact sensor on that alarm in the Ring app or buy a spare magnet from Ring and attach it at the open position of the window. I would think that arming the alarm with a window wide open seems to be counter-productive.

Curious, I have a motion detector that is offline. But Hassio on the pi says it is detected?

My SD card fried. Previous backups I recovered didn’t work.
I had to rebuild my HA from scratch. So now I’m back up and running.
But when I add https://github.com/rs1932/ring-alarm-hassio-addon to the add-ons page, nothing populates my dashboard.
Thoughts? Is this still maintained?
I want to add this as an add-on. I use a RPi3B+.
Before everything fried on me, the add-on worked fine, I seem to remember.
I don’t know why it isn’t populating my dashboard.

what do the ring logs say?
read the link in here

AHA!!! Thanks! :smiley:

Just in case it’s helpful, I documented the steps that worked for me when integrating Alexa, HA (Hassbian) and Ring Alarm. Believe the specific MQTT script was built off this one (credit to acolytec3), so I’d imagine you could plug that in just the same.