Ring Doorbell

Been looking into this, seems like it’d be able to be done efficiently if the HTML5 Video tags were used.
Is it possible to use such a tag in Home Assistant for a component?

Reading through this thread it sounds like there is an ability to show the captured video of the last event, but at the end of the thread maybe not lol. Was this ever able to be accomplished? Thanks!

@darbos it’s coming when @tchellomello has time. Or someone with the know how can help. I would if I could :wink:

Thanks! Wish I could too lol

Im curious,
Is there a way to have Ring Pro “use” the different “Zones” of the motion sensor to do different things?
For example:
I have 3 Zones set up.
Zone 1 is my front porch,
Zone 2 is the sidewalk in front of my house
Zone 3 is for the street passing my house.
BTW this is all from the ONE Ring Pro, not multiple devices. I have 2 Ring Spotlight cams in the back, but they are not associated to this question.

I want a text/email notification, and a recording captured, if Zone 1 is triggered ( and in conjunction with no doorbell being rung?) AT ALL TIMES.
If zone 2 or 3 are triggered, I just want it to record like normal.
Other wise the “Zones” are pointless, right?

Hello guys,

I’m testing a new Ring component to enable to see the latest snap image capture from the camera and when clicked on the image, to playback the video.

The code is still under development but it worked for me. To make sure the video will play, you will need to enable the ffmpeg platform.

The code is available at: https://gist.github.com/tchellomello/0318b9c7e0e29ef4ca58603ead5a8331

To test it, just place this file at custom_components/camera/ring.py and then enable the camera ring platform.

# configuration.yaml
ring:
  username: [email protected]
  password: secret

camera:
  - platform: ring

ffmpeg:

Then when I click at the image, it playback the video.

Please if anyone can test would be amazing!!

mmello

5 Likes

Mello giving this a shot, do i need to trigger a motion event then I would see a video in the UI? As it doesn’t show up like that. I did all the steps?

This is what I got in the error, maybe I am putting the ring.py file in wrong spot? It’s in the configuration folder>custom_components>camera

Failed config General Errors: - Platform not found: camera.ring

HI, From what I can gather, this setup seems to break my Zoneminder installation with nothing coming through on Zoneminder and in addition to @ian611 above, cannot actually see the component in the UI…

Happy to continue testing if we have any progress on the above… or change my config to hepl resolve…

Can confirm it’s working.

Zoneminder camera on top
Ring doorbell camera on bottom

The playback was slow, I assume that is due to ffmpeg re-encoding the video on a Pi3.

Does this only work with the cloud subscription?

I’d have to say yes due to the fact it’s pulling the URL for the video from Ring’s website

Can’t wait to try this tonight!!

1 Like

I relocated the file in configuration folder under custom_components camera and nothing popped up in UI.

Am I doing something wrong as it said something about no platform. At work right now don’t have exact error

If you are using groups, you will have to add camera.ring (or whatever the entity name is) to one of the groups.

1 Like

For my AIO install I’ve placed ring.py in /home/homeassistant/.homeassistant/custom_components/camera/

Then from the <> menu I found camera.front_door_2 as I already had camera.front_door from Zoneminder, and added it to my groups.yaml.

Hope this helps.

1 Like

Already set as a group, still same error

• platform not found camera.ring, I must be doing something stupid. If you think of anything let me know

Looking at config errors, does this make sense.
File “/home/drive/.homeassistant/custom_components/camera/ring.py”, line 10, in import dateutil.parser ImportError: No module named ‘dateutil’

Try manually installing it inside the venv pip install python-dateutil

1 Like

This bit in configuration.yaml is missing it sounds like: