Room / Area humidity and temporature sensor?

A lot of good info, thanks guys.

@Markus99 - Inovelli is a good brand. I am familar with them, just hadn’t done their route due a few stoppers here and there. But I do keep them in mind on occasion.

@Troon How do they hook into HA? I don’t see an integration for them. Or am I seeing this right, they support MQTT? Now THAT would be perfect (I was actually hoping for an MQTT option). Although, UK based is a downer. Hmm. How is the shipping to the US?

@khouse75

I use Wireless Tags . Here’s the HA Integration Page: HA Wireless Tags .

Love that idea, but yeah, don’t like:

The only downside it they are cloud based

@kurtj Integration with deconz? That’s a hardware doggle that integrates with HA? I do have a Aeotec Z-Stick, but I hadn’t actually leveraged any z-wave devices, yet…

What’s the update rate like on the Shelly H&T?

Could you post a screenshot of the history graph?

• I don’t own one, but I have a 1PM so have experience with Shelly’s API.
  • Italian, not UK. There is a US shop.
  • Manual is here: cleverly, the device sends updates when the temperature or humidity changes by a certain amount, rather than using power to run the wifi to tell you nothing’s changed just because 30s has passed.
  • Yes, MQTT is supported and a great way to use Shelly devices. Disables the cloud connection, too: what’s not to like? :slight_smile:

As francisp, I use my Xiaomi temperature/pressure/humidity devices (LLKZMK11LM) with zigbee2mqtt.
I have one in pretty much every room and two outside the house and they have been working reliably, some for over a year now.
zigbee2mqtt allows you to also monitor the battery and the link quality to fine tune its location.

The Aeotec stick is for Z-Wave not ZigBee.
Personally I use the ConBee 2 USB stick to connect zigbee devices to HA. Deconz is the software part.

Hi,

I’ve recently converted three of my Sonoff S20s using this approach: Adding temperature / humidity sensor to Sonoff S20 socket

Requires some DIY work, but it makes a lot of sense if you already have the S20s.

Thanks @Cee btw!

Can’t really comment on Zwave vs Zigbee, I never tried Zwave. I started out with a Philips Hue bridge, then migrated to Conbee/Deconz cause all bulbs were already Zigbee, and Deconz has better compatibility then Philips imho.

I have built some sensors myself using ESPHome, one with a DHT22, and one bluetooth over the ESP32. Both still work great but can’t really leave these all over the house…

The bluetooth one as one advantage I could not find in Zigbee, comes with a nice lcd display (Xiaomi Mijia bluetooth Temperature Humidity Sensor) Still looking for one like this that works with Zigbee though!

My house is full of esp8266 based multi sensors. I’m using a dht22 along with a pir motion and a lux sensor shoehorned into little project boxes and screwed to the ceiling. They are discrete, report almost instantly, and it was fun as hell putting them all together. ESPHome is also one of the coolest pieces of software I’ve ever played with. I just love it so much!

I have a few pir sensors that came in just to play with, planned to use them with a esp32cam. Agreed, it’s a really cool platform to play with!

Did you 3d print the enclosures yourself? If not what did you use?

Sorry if we’re hijacking this thread btw…

Got mine from Amazon. They were available in a five pack for like $11 but now all they have are 2 packs for $8. Still worth it. They are only available in black so I primed and painted them. All in I’m at like $15 a sensor. The esp’s were causing the motions to go crazy and throw constant false positives, but dropping the wifi signal strength to 10db got rid of all of them.

Unfortunately, there is still no amazon in Belgium, and even when looking in amazon FR & DE not much luck. It seems we’re still a developing nation :rofl:

Thanks for the info though, and still interested in the setup/code you’ve used if your’re sharing!

Best regards!

Ahhh, well aliexpress has tons of these little vented boxes, so i’m sure you can find something!

Basic shopping list for a simple multi sensor:

Wire it up and cram it all in your box, flash with esphome, then OTA the final esphome program. My basic code is shown below. Key points: I needed to drop the esp radio output power to keep the motion sensors from blowing up with false positives. I also have the motion on D0 and am pulling it down in an attempt to stop the false positives. I’m now thinking this is not needed though. I’m also averaging values to normalize the output. And i found i needed to calibrate my DHT’s to get accurate temp readings.

Hope this helps!

esphome:
  name: esphome_multi_sensor_$devicename
  platform: ESP8266
  board: nodemcuv2

wifi:
  ssid: !secret wifi_ssid
  password: !secret wifi_password
  output_power: 10dB

# Enable fallback hotspot (captive portal) in case wifi connection fails
  ap:
    ssid: "ESPHome Hotspot"
    password: "OC8g3Q4915g8"

captive_portal:

# Enable I2C bus for light sensor
i2c:

# Enable logging
logger:

# Enable Home Assistant API
api:

ota:

# Binary Sensors
binary_sensor:

- platform: status
    name: ESPHome - $friendlyname Sensor Status

- platform: gpio
    pin: 
      number: D0
      mode: INPUT_PULLDOWN_16
    name: ESPHome - $friendlyname Motion
    device_class: motion
    on_press:
      then:
        - light.turn_on: module_led
        - delay: 2s
        - light.turn_off: module_led
    filters:
      - delayed_off: 15s
      - delayed_on: 30ms

# Sensors
sensor:
  - platform: wifi_signal
    name: ESPHome - $friendlyname Sensor WiFi Signal
    update_interval: 120s

- platform: uptime
    name: ESPHome - $friendlyname Sensor Uptime
    filters:
      - lambda: return x / 3600;
    unit_of_measurement: "h"

- platform: bh1750
    name: ESPHome - $friendlyname Illuminance
    update_interval: 60s
    resolution: 1.0
    filters:
      - median:
          window_size: 5
          send_every: 5
          send_first_at: 2

- platform: dht
    model: DHT22
    pin: D6
    update_interval: 60s
    temperature:
      name: ESPHome - $friendlyname Temperature
      filters:
        - median:
        - calibrate_linear:
          - 0.0 -> 0.0
          - 25.5 -> 24.4
    humidity:
      name: ESPHome - $friendlyname Humidity
      filters:
        - median:

# Switches
switch:
  - platform: restart
    name: ESPHome - $friendlyname Sensor Restart

#Lights
light:
  - platform: monochromatic
    name: ESPHome - $friendlyname Sensor Status LED
    output: pin_D4
    id: module_led
    default_transition_length: 0ms
    internal: True

#Outputs  
output:
  - platform: esp8266_pwm
    id: pin_D4
    pin: D4
    inverted: true

I really like the Xiaomi temp/humidity/pressure sensors. You can get them at Aliexpress. They work very well with deCONZ and the USB Conbee II. Super easy to configure. And the batteries last a very long time. I think you can get a pack of 4 for something like USD$45.

I can smell a little new project emerging :star_struck: never worked with the esp8266 before except from trying to flash a blitzwolf plug (need to solder the pins in order to get it going) Tried some clips like these clips but no avail, gonna need to solder…

That’s why I like the nodemcu over the wemos d1 mini. It’s bigger, but I don’t have to solder anything.

Here’s a pick of one opened up:

I like the ESP ideas, but a little too DIY for me, right now. :wink:

Certainly going to give this a shot - I have Hues (only Zigbee devices we have), but would be nice to centralize these a bit.

Several of you have mentioned Xiaomi, but I’m having trouble actually finding (or understanding?) them. The model mentioned by @bigramon, LLKZMK11LM, is a controller? Their Amazon product page is not an LLKMZ11LM. It also says a Aqara Hub is required - is this what ConBee 2 will be supplementing?

I’m like the approach of MQTT - so I’ll either do zigbee2mqtt or go for Shelly H&T.

To recap this thread, the different levels of DIY are (most → least): ESPHome → Ziaomi + deCONZ/zigbee2mqtt → Shelly H&T → Wireless Tags (wifi, network polling), SmartThings sensors (e.g. Inovelli and Aeotec - Z-Wave).

Xiaomi has 3 temperature/humidity sensors :

WSDCGQ01LM Xiaomi MiJia temperature & humidity sensor (temperature and humidity)

WSDCGQ11LM Xiaomi Aqara temperature, humidity and pressure sensor (temperature, humidity and pressure)

WSDCGQ12LM Xiaomi Aqara temperature, humidity and pressure sensor (temperature, humidity and pressure)

I don’t know the difference between the last two. But all work with zigbee2mqtt or deconz without having the Xiaomi hub.

The H&T will report back when the temp and/or humidity changes. You can set as to how much. Other than that it sleeps and does not report in (that’s how it saves battery). I’ve had mine for about 2 weeks and I have it sent to report back when there is a 1 degree or 1 percent change so I can get as much data as possible. It’s reporting via MQTT.

Here is a bit of a graph.

2020-06-27_09h11_26

2 Likes

One more thing on this one:

• deCONZ has better support than Hue on – 3rd party software? Or even with Philips Hue bulbs, too?

Did you move your Hue bulbs to deCONZ, too? Or left them on Hue bridge? I’m debating on this step right now.

I migrated all my Philips bulbs to deconz and never looked back. I even sold the hue hub now.

It’s said that it’s better to separate ZLL (lights such as the Philips) and ZHA (sensors such as the Xiaomi ones, switches like the Ikea ones etc.) devices on a separate mesh, however I din’t have any issue running them on the same mesh for the last 2 years or so.