Rpi4 with Aeotec zwave - device name change without power cycle

I’m new to HA and still learning. I have the Aeotec Z-Stick Gen5 with a raspberry pi 4 (connected to a 4 port USB 2 Sabrent hub). I have setup a single switch from my prior z-wave network (excluded from other network, included in HA through the panel). That works, for a short period of time (sometimes as much as 45 minutes). I am using Raspbian with a “Home Assistant Core on Docker” setup.

I’ve experienced (and read) about the persistent name issues with this stick, so I have setup to use (/dev/serial/by-id/usb-0658_0200-if00) which does work. In my docker-compose, I was mapping just the USB device itself, but then changed to expose all (- /dev:/dev) for testing.

My problem, though, seems that the setup stops working when the dev name changes (like from ACM0 to ACM1). I’m not sure why it would have changed (no power loss, using a stock raspberry pi USB-C power source). My guess would be that when the device changes from ACM0 to ACM1, my session to the original device is no longer valid (even though I reference it by-id). Is that possible? Do I have something screwed up in my rpi4 that might cause it to re-detect the devices?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I’ve done lots of searching, but it seems most people have success using the by-id persistent name.

For reference, my zwave log ends up with:
2020-05-25 07:10:32.350 Info, Node002, Sending (Send) message (Callback ID=0x17, Expected Reply=0x04) - SwitchMultilevelCmd_Get (Node=2): 0x01, 0x09, 0x00, 0x13, 0x02, 0x02, 0x26, 0x02, 0x25, 0x17, 0xf3
2020-05-25 07:10:33.350 Error, Node002, ERROR: Dropping command, expected response not received after 1 attempt(s)
2020-05-25 07:10:33.350 Detail, Node002, Removing current message
2020-05-25 07:10:33.350 Detail, Node002, Notification: Notification - TimeOut

I don’t use a RPi4 but I’ve read that people are having problems getting the Aeotec Zwave dongle working on the RPi4 without using a powered USB hub in between.

If you are using it “by_id” then that should never change.

Thanks much. I thought I saw on the raspberry pi forum that people were using unpowered hubs. I dug out an old 1.1 hub with external power and that seems to do the trick (at least as a temporary solution).