"Safe" run of command in automation

I have tens of automations. HA controls my life and life of my family. Stability and reliability of HA is very very important for me. But HA has one great bad thing inside - if anything fails in automation all automation is broken!

Example:

• Condition: “if it is very hot in living room…”
  • Action1: TTS say “is is very hot…”
  • Action2: send “open window” command to window controller

And if Action1 fails for some reason (TTS device offline) window is not opened.

I need some “java like try-catch”. So i can wrap action call and if it fails automation run to next command. And what more i think this should be default behavior of in automations.

This behavior degrade HA to pice of unreliable …

Please think about that!

As workaround, create separate automations with same trigger.

Or move to AppDaemon or Node-Red.

1 Like

HA adds lot of new features every release. It is great. Automations are ages in HA. But why use maybe most important feature if it is faulty, unstable, unreliable, not robust? You really want to handle your smart home with some thing if it can fail silently anytime?

@brahmafear Your duplicity workaround is nonsense. Imagine i have 50 automations with 4 steps each (in averege). So i will create 50x4=200 automations and what more if i want to change condition i will change it on 4 places? Unusable advice, sorry.

Like I said, workaround.

The halting of actions on a failure is deliberate as it is assumed that first failure might cause future failures.

For what you want to do, sounds like appdaemon or node red would be better option. HA’s built in automations are meant for simple actions.