Samsung Smart TV - No control?

Sorry about not being to find a answer as I suppose it’s somewhere to be found.

I have a Q9fn with native HA integration which seems to work as expected. The only data I really need is however not available: media player play/pause/stopped states. Through searching I’ve noticed comments about more data being available through alternative integrations, but didn’t specifically see any comments mention additional states. Are these states available through use of any of the other integrations? Or in combination with Smarthings?

…or is it possible to get mentioned state from individual applications? Noticed that some integrations offer application specific data, but I didn’t see any information about play/pause states.

Good question… I can’t see why don’t all these projects couldn’t work more closely together as a collective and post TV model compatibility lists.

This used to be the case on the HA plugin but some new developers got on board and deleted this list :frowning:

1 Like

FYI I have a Frame TV purchased in 2017 and I was able to make the above template sort of work. You obviously need to adjust the indentation and the single quotes (I am not proficient with YAML and it took me a while to figure out the right syntax).

The switch itself does not work as is in my case if you add it as a lovelace card (again not sure if this is expected for template switches or just an issue with the TV itself), but I included it in an automation to turn on art mode and it does the job provided that the tv is on. So I start the automation with a turn_on command and a 5s delay that handles all situations.

I can now have art mode turn itself on automatically every morning which my tv was reluctant to do consistently before.

Hi guys, I am just getting started with Home Assistant on a RPI4B. I’ve focused on my plants and house climate and big parts is up and running, love it!

I have 4 Samsung TVs that I’ve done nothing about. One QLED Q65Q70 and three older Samsung’s from 2013. The last couple of days I’ve tried to get some kind of reaction from them, especially starting with the older two.

Two of them from 2013 show up in HA:

My latest attempt look like this:
media_player:

- platform: samsungtv_custom
host: 192.168.86.20
mac: 5c:a3:9d:[intentionally omitted]:c8:d6
port: 8001
sourcelist: '{"PlayStation": "KEY_HDMI1", "RaspberryPi": "KEY_HDMI2", "Chromecast": "KEY_HDMI3"}'
name: Samsung Vardagsrummet

SamsungTV Custom is installed through HACS. It just looks like this and I get zero reaction when pushing the button:

Anyone got any tips on what to do to move forward with this?

I have an older samsung tv and had a lot of trial and error setting it up. I had to use the ctl_beta and get the token and ID

The token get be fetched via https://github.com/eclair4151/SmartCrypto The id can be fetched vie http://IP_ADDRESS:8001/api/v2/

My config looks like this

name: Bedroom TV
    host: 10.10.10.10
    mac: 00:00:00:00:00
    protocol: ctl_beta
    id: xxxxxxxxxx
    token: xxxxxxxxxxxxxx:1

I am able to control power, volume and source now. I hope this helps

2 Likes

Many thanks!

I couldn’t get any torken. I get “No module named ‘command_encryption’” with SmartCrypto and “No module named ‘PySmartCrypto’” with GetToken. But my TVs are 2013’s model, maybe they don’t have a Token? I also couldn’t get the deviceid with the available options for that (this http://IP_ADDRESS:8001/api/v2/ and two other versions of it). They just didn’t connect.

Anyway, I could connect all three super easy with this:

All I had to do was download the files into the right folder in hassio and it worked instantly. Almost fell of a chair after messing around with worse options for days.

I can also change sound, source and turn off. They aren’t connected to ethernet, I think they maybe have to be that. But its better than nothing!

1 Like

Do you may show full config of this section?
I got this error, and i don’t understand, when :unamused:

(venv_3.9.2) homeassistant@orangepiplus2e:/srv/homeassistant/venv_3.9.2$ hass --script check_config
Testing configuration at /home/homeassistant/.homeassistant
Failed config
  media_player.samsungtv_custom: 
    - Invalid config for [media_player.samsungtv_custom]: [token] is an invalid option for [media_player.samsungtv_custom]. Check: media_player.samsungtv_custom->token. (See ?, line ?). 
      host: 192.168.0.104
      id: aceeeed0-fff7-4538-a530-ef1cf96677f8
      mac: cc:b1:1a:be:b3:6b
      sourcelist: {"RaspberryPi": "KEY_HDMI2", "Chromecast": "KEY_HDMI3"}
      token: af7071f753960e5c9c1baec56c71e850:2

Successful config (partial)
  media_player.samsungtv_custom:

with my config:

media_player:
     platform: samsungtv_custom
     host: 192.168.0.104
     mac: cc:b1:1a:be:b3:6b
     sourcelist: '{"RaspberryPi": "KEY_HDMI2", "Chromecast": "KEY_HDMI3"}'
     token: af7071f753960e5c9c1baec56c71e850:2
     id: aceeeed0-fff7-4538-a530-ef1cf96677f8

My TV - UE50J6240

It looks like your indentation is wrong. You can try copying mine above and see if that works. Remove any extra attributes until you get it working

Don’t work.
I get “Safe Mode” status, or error about token, then if i’m delete token, i get error about id

Can you send on the errors from your logs?

1 Like

My conf - https://pastebin.com/rVD6b7VA
My error log https://pastebin.com/7RympbR2

It look like there might be an issue with the custom component. Did you copy all of the contents from github?

I’m install it across HACS https://hacs.xyz/

You need to edit the media_player.py file in the samsungtv_custom folder under custom_components

Go to line 65/66 and change

CONF_ID = ""
CONF_TOKEN = ""

to

CONF_ID = "id"
CONF_TOKEN = "token"

Thank you! It’s working for me.
But now i don’t may set lovelace panel for media player :grinning:
http://SSMaker.ru/7dbc8603/ :roll_eyes:

Has anyone succeeded to turn on a F6400 model via WOL or otherwise? I can control volume, mute/unmute, select source and turn off, but not the TV turn on… Thanks in advance!

Hi

I’ve just got a Samsung The Serif (2020) and I’m really struggling to get it to connect to home assistant. I’ve got the latest version of home assistant core-2021.6.4 and I see the TV get discovered in my integrations.

However when I click “Configure” then “Submit”, I don’t get a notification on the TV and then all I see is “Failed to connect”:

The TV is QE49LS01TBUXXU - Software version: T-NKMDEUC-1497.0, BT-S

I switched logging to Debug and all I see is the following (I’ve anonymised some details): 2021-06-15 14:07:06 DEBUG (SyncWorker_38) [homeassistant.components.samsungtv] T - Pastebin.com

Any help would be much appreciated :slight_smile:

Andy

Guys, i have an older samsung TV (pre-tizen) … is there actually a wa to play a youtube video on it? How?

if open youtube on my notebook (chrome browser), it recognizes the samsung tv, to play the youtube video on it… if i do that, i see the TV starting the youtube app… how todo that from HA?

thnx in advance

to be honest, after testing a couple of components, jaruba among them, I wasn’t completely pleased. I’ve been using jaruba’s for more than a year, which is great, but recently certain features went down for my model and moved away to something else.

I ended up creating my own “integration”, mixing webCoRE (webCore only works for TVs showing up in Smartthings) with http requests and node red (I assume it can be done in HA as well) and putting everythign together with the universal media player integration in HA. I’ts not really hard, I’m kind of a newbie and it works worlds better than any integration I tried.

The tv updates every 5 seconds in HA and always sets the correct picture and sound settings for every source/app/whatever, which were my two main aims. Beyond that,webcore does feature a bunch of available commands not present in any integration. It would be great if we could investigate webCoRE together in this forum because the majority of commands are straightforward but some aren’t and there’s not documentation about them in the webCoRE forums. We are probably missing something really powerful whithin webcore and it can be really easily triggered from HA. Here are all the commands available for my TV.

I decided to open a new thread so anybody willing to investigate is welcome.

Can you share what TV models?