Scenes - saving light states before applying a scene and then a scene (and then restore light states)

I am a new user of scenes and trying to fit it into our “current way of living”, were the family typically pushes wall-switches to turn on the lights. So I have started to create scenes that can be manually applied (see image below).

In this setup I created scripts that saves the previous light settings before applying a pre-configured scene, ie so tapping “All on” - will save the current setup (scene.create with snapshot_entities) and apply the “All on” screne turn on all lights. Tapping “Previous” will return to the previous setting (scene.turn_on with the created scene.before). Everyone is :star_struck:

But…that only works if we move in and out of one scene at a time…so if somebody first taps “All on” (maybe by mistake) and then “Movie”, tapping “Previous” will return to the “All on” scene. Most are :tired_face:

So (maybe) I am looking for ideas to save the light states before entering scenes (or maybe I need to look for some other ways). Any ideas or comments are welcome on how to accomplish this?

It’s tricky to code what people are thinking.

Is this a case of trying to overcome a problem that doesn’t exist given most people will probably remember which of the 4 choices was the one they were trying to return to?

I did something quite similar. I had 5 scenes (ranging from 'all off" to “all on”) that were auto-selected based on an outside lux sensor. I also had buttons to manually select each scene (essentially an override to the lux-based automation). I then created a button called “reset” which manually triggered the automation to re-select the ‘correct’ scene - useful after a manual selection, right? However, I quickly realised that no-one ever used that button because they were either happy with their manual selection or they simply set a new one that they were happy with.

Sorry for my unclear description.

Here is a scenario;
Wife and kids mostly control our lights using the wall-switches (having Shelly dimmers behind them) and not using any scenes. Later we might decide to watch a movie, but as we couldn’t find the remote control I apply the “All on” scene to look for it. After finding it I turn on the Movie scene.
After the movie finished I would like to go back to the light state that we had before we started to look for the remote control.

So maybe its a way of trying to bridge between wall-switch based light control and scene based light control.

…perhaps only use scene.create when pushing the “Movie” scene button so no other scene can effect it?

Hmm…not sure I understand how that would solve it…

Then I wouldn’t not be able to revert to the “previous” state (of lights) when activiating other scenes like the “All on” scene.

…and thanks for taking the time.

Sorry, I thought that example was the scenario, not a scenario,

You need to find a unique real-world identifier that is unique to wanting to ignore the scene_create. For example, would it always be when the scene is only active for (say) 3 minutes? If so, you can set a 3 min timer when each scene is selected and have the script only scene_create if the timer isn’t running when the button is pushed.

1 Like

Make the “previous” button call a “home” state not an actual stored “previous” state. When previous is pressed you load the state you created called “home” or default. Something like that. I have a light that I call a flicker state when a camera sees someone at the door, then it calls a default, home state after a few seconds to put things back to normal or default.

1 Like

Thanks - your comments maybe me think a bit…and maybe this is exactly what you are suggesting but I couldn’t grasp… :smiley:

EDITED: This became my solution;

I created an input select like “scene_is_active” to indicate if a scene is applied or not + a timer how long the snapshot scene shall be consider valid to revert to.

• When user taps to apply a scene it runs a script; to check if “scene_is_active” = FALSE, then sets “scene_is_active” to TRUE + do a scene.create snapshot + start a timer of 3h + applies the selected scene.

• If the scripts finds out that “scene_is_active” = TRUE, then just applies selected the scene (ie. don’t update the saved snapshot scene).

• When user taps “Previous” - I revert back to the “snapshot scene” + set “scen_is active” to FALSE + cancels the timer.

• If the timer finshes I set “scene_is_active” = FALSE. (as after some 3h I could consider he “previous” settings are old…).

Sorry if unclear description, if anyone is interested I am happy to share more.

Hi Nikno,

I was also looking for this kind of solution.
Can you share how you did it exactly?

Basically this:

• I created the scenes I wanted.
  • I created a helper timer (l1_scene_control) to control how long it shall be possible to revert to light setting before applying a scene.
  • I created a help input select (l1_scene_active) to keep track if a scene is active or not.
  • I created an automation that sets l1_scene_active to FALSE when the timer (l1_scene_control) runs out.
  • I created scripts that activates each scene (and takes a snapshot of the current light setting) - see below.
  • I created a script that applies the light setting before applying a scene - see below.

The script yaml code to set a scene looks like this:

alias: L1 - Apply scene Movie
sequence:
  - if:
      - condition: state
        entity_id: input_select.l1_scene_active
        state: "FALSE"
    then:
      - service: input_select.select_option
        data:
          option: "TRUE"
        target:
      - service: scene.create
        data:
          scene_id: l1_before
          snapshot_entities:
            - light.bulb_l1_entrance_hallway
            - light.bulb_l1_office_desk_lamp
            - light.bulb_l1_window
            - switch.plug_l1_panthella_switch
      - service: timer.start
        data: {}
        target:
          entity_id: timer.l1_scene_control
      - service: scene.turn_on
        target:
          entity_id: scene.1f_movie
    else:
        target:
          entity_id: scene.1f_movie
mode: single
icon: mdi:lightbulb-auto

The script yaml code to apply light setting before scene was applied looks like this:

alias: L1 - Apply before scene
sequence:
    target:
      entity_id: scene.l1_before
  - service: input_select.select_option
    data:
      option: "FALSE"
    target:
  - service: timer.cancel
    target:
      entity_id: timer.l1_scene_control
mode: single
icon: mdi:lightbulb-auto

Thanks a lot!
I combined your code with some of what I created already and it works nice.
The automation gets triggered when my android tv starts to play a movie. The only problem i’ve noticed is that the scene also gets triggered when the tv plays an intro or trailer in the menus.

1 Like

Maybe off topic for this thread, but potentially it might work having a condition based on which app is playing the media? I see that on when my NVIDIA Shield plays there is property called app_name on the media player which is populated with things like “Disney+”.