Schlage BE469 Lock not responding to ZwaveJS

Hey everyone - I just migrated from Smartthings to ZWaveJS on an RPI using the Zooz USB stick and I am unable to get my Schlage B469 lock to respond. I can get the status of the lock (locked/unlocked) and the battery level - but it will not respond. I see a lot of
“2021-10-09T21:31:09.982Z CNTRLR [Node 010] Timed out while waiting for a response from the node
2021-10-09T21:31:09.983Z CNTRLR [Node 010] Timed out while waiting for a response from the node
2021-10-09T21:31:23.656Z CNTRLR [Node 010] Timed out while waiting for a response from the node
2021-10-09T21:31:23.658Z CNTRLR [Node 010] Timed out while waiting for a response from the node”

In the logs - even though the Zooz key is about 3’ away from the lock - but appears in the UI to ok.

Does anyone have any recommendations about what I can do here?

1 Like

Make sure you added it with security and that your network keys exist in the addon config.

I am using zwavejsmqtt actually… I have S0 and S2 keys configured… Is that what you mean?

Should add, I am using fresh batteries and i have factory reset the lock

Yes you’d be surprised how many people miss those boxes :wink:

Which buttons are you hitting for including the lock? (screenshots would be helpful)

Definitely needs to be secure as mentioned, it looks like it is from your first screenshot… I would also make sure you have fresh batteries (regardless what it says the level is)…
some people lately have mentioned having to pair this lock inches from the stick… I struggled with 2 of my 3 when moving to zwavejs and ultimately fresh batteries is what put an end to hours of messing around with them…

1 Like

Thanks. I am using a fresh set of batteries. The lock is now now mm rather than cm away from the zooz stick. SOO… fingers crossed. I also realized that zwavejs natively supports ws (I thought only the mqtt variant did) so I switched to that to see if it will help

Well pairing was FAST… not no luck. I can not manipulate the lock. Fresh batteries from this AM and a factory reset

Can you show a screenshot of the entities you have on this device?

The last entity (the sensor) is a disabled entity image

So hitting that unlock button there does nothing?

Correct. So I went ahead a re-did everything… including factory reseting my Zooz key (my network is small…). Lock pairs liks a charm

But all I see in the logs are

Subscribed to Z-Wave JS Log Messages…
2021-10-12T14:36:53.213Z CNTRLR   [Node 002] Timed out while waiting for a response from the node
2021-10-12T14:36:53.217Z CNTRLR   [Node 002] Timed out while waiting for a response from the node
2021-10-12T14:37:04.481Z CNTRLR   [Node 002] Timed out while waiting for a response from the node
2021-10-12T14:37:04.485Z CNTRLR   [Node 002] Timed out while waiting for a response from the node

Feels like I have hit a bug…

Is the device still near your stick or back on the door?

Literally less than 5cm away from the deadbolt

Enable debug log level to get more info on what’s going on.

Seems there may be an issue supporting this lock. It doesn’t behave as expected. https://github.com/zwave-js/node-zwave-js/issues/3484#issuecomment-943318561

That looks like an issue with the hardware/firmware on the lock.

Looking around Reddit and here there seems to be a number of issues with this lock and ZwaveJs. I’m guessing other integrations just deal with the intricacies ( aka bad in hindsight Zwave implementation?) of the lock.

Works like a charm with Vera and SmartThings. Might try openzwave…

I hate to revive painful memories of trying to get this lock to work with HA, but I wanted to post my hard fought victory getting BE469 non zwave plus version to finally work. -DO NOT USE RECHARGEABLE BATTERIES. I used freshly recharged enloops as I have always done/used. Pairing with s0 legacy security went super smooth but from there all went downhill. I experienced everything you described above… I couldn’t get the dang lock to respond from HA and I was also getting “the time out while waiting for a response” on my log. I paired, unpaired probably 50-60 times. Just about to give up I decided to use fresh nonrechargeable batteries. went through the same motions and viola it worked on the first go around. lock responded and the time out nonsense went away. Must be a voltage issue and the older zwave lock probably needs more voltage. 1.5v for nonrechargeable and 1.2v for the rechargeable. what a PITA

hope this helps someone.