Screw them all! (Snips -> Sonos, DarkSky -> Apple)

Hi everybody,

Don’t know where to put this, so it goes to uncategorized.

The amount of big tech companies buying the stuff we love and use IS TOO DAMN HIGH and the way they act after doing so is a kick in the ass for any open community in the Internet!

Sonos with Snips? Fucking assholes! Okay, now I have a better Voice Assistant with rhasppy thats even more personal than Snips was but thats not the point.

Next Apple buys DarkSky, killing the app and forecasts on their website on August 1st, killing API access in the end of 2021.

Of course there are more examples (i.e. Oculus -> F***book) but those are the two most prominent right now and the ones that might hit many many people here.

I know thats how things go in this world and we have to deal with. But we should not accept this shit without speaking out loudly! And of course it cool for the people creating those service that finally someone comes and says “Hey nice stuff there, what about X millions for the product and nice jobs for you and your friends if you still like to work?”. I don’t begrudge them the success and the money they earned for their hard work. However I dislike what often comes next.

I don’t have the time to start and maintain a big campaign regarding this but there are things that only cost minutes and everybody can do:

1. Send an email to the companies acquiring stuff Open Source communities use and closing it down, expressing your deep inner feelings about the fucking bullshit they do.

2. When buying something, think if there is another option, manufactured by a company that is not seeing any Open attempt as an attack to their business model and likes to support people like us. Needless to say, this are the number one reasons I never bought the sh…stuff from Sonos or Apple (yeah, okay, my wife git her iPad Pro I admit. But it took her a long time to convince me :D)

3. Spread the word. Talk about how they behave to others, talk about it in other forums and so on.

4. If you are working for any media, think if you can bring some attention to that topic. This is not only about our hobby. They acquire data that was freely available for millions of people and make it their own. In the case of DarkSky data that is of extreme value and importance for uncountable people in these times: weather data. This is about how we see our society and how this society should support each other, anywhere in the world.

I don’t know if any of these actions will have any effect but I know for sure it will have no effect if everybody keeps silent.

Haha, and if nobody else here has my opinion I was at least able to tell what I think about this stuff. Thanks for reading!

What do you guys think?
Kind regards