SD Card died - New installation which path to choose?

Hi everyone

So I had homeassisant running in hassbian with deconz on a rp3, but last night my SD card died on me. Of course I had no backup (I cried instead).

So now I have ordred a ssd with a case and want to run it of that instead to make it more reliable.

The question is now, which installation path should I choose now that I need to start over? Should I at the current time go hassbian again or maybe docker, or something else?

I wish to continue using my rp3 because of the low power consumption but then use a ssd instead of sdcard so I dont have to worry about the sdcard dying again.

Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

This just happened to me few days ago… replaced a new SD and now trying to redo everything… Followed instructions at https://www.home-assistant.io/hassio/installation/ and PI boots up but it seems stuck… not sure what to do next… keep on waiting? I’m not even sure what I expect to see during boot up, if I hit Enter key it gives me a prompt… so I thought maybe I can access http://hassio.local:8123 but it doesn’t work!!! pulling my hair!

how long did you leave it running? It can take an hour or so (not 20 minutes) Pi 3b??

I would start by re-formatting your new sd-card and flashing the hassio image again. But I have not tried hassio so I cannot comment on the time it should take.

It’s been running for couple of hours already, something is definitely wrong… but I don’t know what else to do…

Here’s what the console says:

you’re using wireless?

Yeah I have the USB stick named CONFIG and has one folder named “network”, in there, I have a file called “hassio-wifi” as the instructions below:

well your wireless config isn’t working…

Oh okay. How do I ensure it to work? I follow this instruction:

WiFi setup only: Format a USB-Stick with name CONFIG and copy one of the examples to the file network/hassos-wifi.

ONe of the example I copied was and changed with my wifi setting:

[connection]
id=hassos-network
uuid=72111c67-4a5d-4d5c-925e-f8ee26efb3c3
type=802-11-wireless

[802-11-wireless]
mode=infrastructure
ssid=MY_SSID

[802-11-wireless-security]
auth-alg=open
key-mgmt=wpa-psk
psk=MY_WLAN_SECRED_KEY

[ipv4]
method=auto

[ipv6]
addr-gen-mode=stable-privacy
method=auto

…I’m pretty sure I did something wrong here… any suggestions?

Yeah I’m pretty sure you did as well lol :slight_smile:

I don’t use wireless so can’t help but I’m sure someone will respond…

I plugged in my ethernet cable and this time I don’t get the “link is not ready” error msg anymore… but it’s just stuck… I left it over night and woke up with the same screen…