Setting up Google Actions for Assistant

use the google assistant/search app, on my S7 it’s long pressing home to get google search

Anyone here who knows an answer to this?

I had that problem because /api/google_assistant was protected by a client certificate. That probably applies to a password too.

You want the app called “Home

I’m having another issue now… Everything is configured and working fine, but when I try and add it in the Google app, it shows up, and seems to work, but then it says loading and then claims a connection error.

To anyone experiencing problems with getting a “Could not update the setting. Please check your connection” error please check my post linked below, it seemed to work for me.

1 Like

How to find out and fix it?

@TheOnlyMatty I have tried it out but without success. Still the same problem.

ive tried that and it still doesnt work…

im having the conenction issue too.

I’m sorry if I haven’t seen this somewhere in the docs, but what platforms/device types are supported? I have an ecobee thermostat (climate) that isn’t picked up by the Home app, and my garage door (cover) is appearing as a light… is this expected at this point?

Could the connection issue exist because of the created api_password http component that is not included in the Google action?
If yes, how to add it?

if i try to open /api/google_assistant then i get a 404, any ideas?

Just found out that you can ask GA assistant the status of devices

“Ok Google, are the bedroom lights on?”

and you get the status (if there are multiple lights tells you which are on and which are off.

Once all GROUPS are well defined (media_player, fan, lights, switches and so on) all status can be asked

Wonder if this app can do SENSOR and GA system recognized them, so we could ask the SENSOR status and maybe value?

1 Like

Hi claudio, thanks for update, how are defining groups or even sensors, at the moment GA sees my media players as lights, tried al sort of changes but no luck to make it to see media player as media?

well partly needs this code to be changed and probably also from Google side

I was thinking that too…

Answering my own question after some investigation: climate is not yet supported, though there’s an open PR to add it. Covers are currently treated as lights (on = open, off = closed) and from the code it appears you can set the tilt of blinds as brightness. I may investigate whether I can raise a PR to add better cover integration but it may be that this isn’t well supported on Google’s side just yet.

are media_players supported?

One of the things that worked for me was setting a firewall redirect so that HASS could be loaded on 443 as well as 8123

Media players are mapped in a similar way to covers - as lights. So you can turn on/off and brightness sets volume.

I’m contemplating a PR for the Google Assistant docs to make them more user friendly (and noob friendly) and explain what’s supported in more detail.