šŸŒ Show HA Community: We built OAuth for your home

I agree. The idea here is to grant limited permissions based on device and activity. For example a developer could request the ability to set the RGB value on a lighting device controller.

If the permission was granted, they wouldnā€™t know any of the following:

• How many lights are connected to the controller, if any.
  • The location of the lights that they are able to control.
  • The state or activity of the light.

Additionally, they wouldnā€™t be able to turn the light on or off. Only set the RGB value.

The user is in full control of what access they grant and to what parts of their home. For the developer, they get a unified API across device classes that is easy to develop against and test.

@CaptTom I really appreciate this comment. I donā€™t think this is for everyone and Iā€™m also not specifically making it for Home Assistant enthusiasts as the API will work across various home automation systems. Iā€™m starting with Home Assistant and looking to get some developers to try out the API.

1 Like

Exactly. This is a tool for developers to interact with their usersā€™ connected devices with a unified API. Kind of like a mix of what Twilio does for phones and what Plaid does for finance applied to connected devices.

Yes, and itā€™d be limited in access to only the devices and interactions you allow that particular app to do.

You nailed it. Iā€™m working on the best way to explain it still. Whatā€™s most important is that applications can request access to particular devices and interactions on those devices.

Imagine for example an application that can automatically lock your house, but doesnā€™t have permission to unlock it.

Additionally, they are only implemented by HA. This projectā€™s aim is to support any home, with or without HA so that developers have a single API to use to interact with connected devices.

As of now thereā€™s not much to put up on GitHub. Iā€™m still in the discovery phase of what Iā€™m building. I appreciate this feedback and will strive to work in the open. Right now Iā€™m looking for anyone who thinks this is an interesting API so that I can build features they actually want.

Iā€™m considering using Matter in my implementation and am following everything I can find on the subject closely.

The problem is since itā€™s not out there yet itā€™s hard to figure out exactly how everything fits together.

I still think that the the per device and per ability permission request model that Iā€™m working on will provide added functionality for developers and benefit the end user with better privacy and security.

@NathanCu Do you have any pointers or recommended readings on the topic of matter multi-admin and border routers?

This is a good point. Iā€™m connecting outside in just in this proof of concept, I will change this in the future.